Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can't stand comfort grips on pens

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rpasto92

I like whatever sells and in my case the grip sells. Without the grip it's just a fat slimline. I love beatiful wood too so I don't waste the good stuff. When making a comfort pen I glue an inch of oak to the end of an exotic blank. By doing this I can make both a comfort pen AND a Sierra out of 1 6" exotic blank.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I did not vote, cause I don't hate it-seldom USE it.

However, the CSUSA EZ grip is my preference for a "comfort" pen. Much nicer "rubber".

GBusardo

I voted "Can't stand them" But I really don't mind them. Actually I like the way they feel and people (potential customers and friends) seem to like them also. Personally, I'm not crazy about the way they look, and paring off so much great wood for a piece of rubber kinda "turns" my stomach. [xx(]
Gary

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Can I cast at least 100 votes against the comfort-grip?? That is one vote for every person who has picked up a comfort-grip, put it down, and bought the "fat Slim-Line" because they liked it better.

GBusardo

lol It must be the heat, it looks like i am contradicting myself. When I said " I'm not crazy about the way they look" I meant with the rubber grip thing on. And there are a lot of pens that are "just a fat slimline". Does anyone lot like the Father Sing pen? The KC Twist is pretty cool too, and there are others.
Gary

rpasto92

wow...I never thought I would offend sooo many people by saying it's a fat slimline. My point was two fold
1. You don't have to waste good wood to include the grip...in fact if you do it my way you get 2 pens out of one exotic pen blank instead of one.
2. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't make it a bad pen. If I were not selling them more often with the grip than without, that's how I would make them. If I only made pens that I like I would have a hell of a lot of Cocobolo Baron pens and if my customers didn't like that look then too bad (for my sales). I would also not have a single Sierra pen because I think it's one of the uglier kits out there. Anyway...I'm not making pens for me...I'm making pens to sell and as much as I would like to only make pens that appeal to me I know that's not a wise business decision.

GBusardo

Difference thougths, likes and dislikes are what makes this forum so cool and productive for me. It is so interesting to also see that Russ's customers do not like the comfort and Ryan's sells. Ed likes the Craft Suppply EZ grip and I do not at all. Good stuff.......[:)]
Gary

I only made the comfort grip because I'd never made them before and I was asked if I could supply pens with comfort grips. My personal view is I'd prefer a pen without grips I think pens without grips look better and are more comfortable.Sometimes you have to make what sells[:)]

Daniel

I voted I don't like them because most of them I have made have been without the grip. something just not right in my mind in making a pen and leaving half of one barrel a molded rubber piece. I have made a few comfort grips from P.S.I. with the grip and have not been thrilled with it. to thin and soft so it will destort etc. as for the fat slimline. it is an awesome looking pen that way. I prefer it to the regular slimline. not offended by the fat slimline statement by the way.

Stretch

Maybe I just like them because I have several hours of note taking each day and I prefer feeling in my fingers afterward. Too much writing and the wood leaves dents in my fingers

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have not made any. I may have one around the house but never use it.
They may be comfortable to write with but with the amount of CA on my fingers I don't need any thing to protect them.
When I see a pen, ANY pen with a rubber grip, I think of Wally World.
If some one wants to buy one of my pens the way I make it they can wrap it with a rubber band.
I am not in comeptition with Wal MArt.
One more thing.
I can't see how they can NOT absorb sweat and dirt from someones hands.

mrcook4570

Originally posted by Stretch
<br />Maybe I just like them because I have several hours of note taking each day and I prefer feeling in my fingers afterward. Too much writing and the wood leaves dents in my fingers

Give a rollerball or a fountain pen a try. It will glide across the paper almost effortlessly.

terrymiller

I have not used the comfort grip kit but have made several using the EVA foam that is used in fishing rod handles. This stuff is easy to turn and you can make whatever shape you would like it to be.

arioux

Hi,

No need to pay extra for the confort grip. I use those little grip that sells at the dollar store. Works great on a slim line and youg people like them a lot. You can even cut them and make the center band out of it. Just an idea for you gys to try. If you want more grip choice, go to the link below, they have few models that can stimulate you imagivation :), specially for the acrylics turner. Hope this can be of any help.
http://www.studentsupply.com/grips.html

2006830115119_1611_Grips.jpg
<br />

Alfred

mdburn_em

I couldn't vote because I like and dislike them.
I really dislike the ribbed comfort grip. They are an oxymoron. They are NOT comfortable.
I really, REALLY like the combo pen grip from PSI. It is formed and it's cushioned. My customers pick it up and love the feel and they love that it's a pen and a pencil too.
Downside, mechanism works & feels cheap and it appears they might have changed the grip material into something that looks cheap and tawdry. I'm going to order one more time and if I get the same grip, well, that's the only pen I buy from them so that will be the last one.

carverken

I voted for the comfort grip but I dont love them. I just dont hate them. My thoughts are it depends on the pen / pencil. To say its not "right" to make half the pen out of rubber or plastic, I suggest the Sierra is half plastic. If I am writing for a long time the comfort grip is good for my bad joints. Thanks K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom