combining material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wickford

Just wondering if anyone combines acrylic and wood to make pens? I have some small cut offs that I hate to throw away, but I wasn't sure if the two would stick together?

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions??

Thanks!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
I DO, AND USE 5 MIN. EPOXY TO PUT THEM TOGETHER. I LIGHTLY SAND THE ACRYLIC TO GET A GOOD BOND.

rherrell

If you stick with this so called "hobby" for any length of time you will eventually be overrun with small cut offs. I just recently threw away half of a 5 gal. bucket full. Save 'em if you want, but remember this post when you get tired of lookin' at 'em!:D:D:D

jhs494

Yes you can combine acrylic with wood. I have made segmented pens from pieces that were just too small to use by itself and added a strip of acrylic on an angle, and made an accent stripe. Once it is done nobody knows what you started with.

But I will say that at some point you must get rid of some of the really small stuff, even if it kills you.;):D

Keep in mind also that there are some kits that use smaller sections.
Teachers pen, Sierra, Carbara to name a few.

JayDevin

here is an example...most of us call it worthless wood
DSC09824.jpg

marionquill

I've done many pens with acrylic and wood combined. Sometimes it looks awesome, and sometimes I won't even give it to my 9 year old. I use 5 min epoxy. I did try once to bond a piece of soda can to wood to make a neat little band...it didn't work. Anyway, you have to be really careful when sanding since the acrylic is much harder.

Hello

I've taken cut-offs of acrylic and wood, cut them down to 1/4inch in length and turn them (half to do half a pen at a time, short mandrel with the nut tunred really tight because I don't glue the pieces together, nor do I glue them to the tube). when I put the pen together I have the acrylic and wood going one after another....wood, acrylic, wood acrylic, wood acrylic etc. and the pieces can spin on the tube

I combine acrylic, corian, truestone, antler, bone, pickguard, copper, brass, aluminum, and pieces of my wife's plastic cutting board with wood using polyurethane glue on the surfaces and the tube.

Larry

Top Bottom