Colourant for PR Resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaywood1207

I want to do some casting and end up with an opaque blank using Michael's Castin' Craft resin. What do I use to colour the resin for an opaque blank? I have seen paint mentioned in the past but what should I be looking for in paint?

Thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jaywood1207

I have only ever used pearlex but that leaves a somewhat transluscent blank. I want to know what to add so that it is not transluscent. I want a solid colour that is not see through and I will add a bit of pearlex to give it some sparkle. I'm hoping that I can use a craft paint of some sort but am not sure if that will work. I want something easy to get without ordering if possible.

healeydays

After doing a lot of testing, I also use nail polish in PR to get unique colors and it works fantastic and you can get basically any shade you could want.

Mike B

jason_r

Just remember that it's (generally) a tradeoff between opacity and chatoyance.

I.E. the more opaque your blank the less of those lovely 3D looking swirl effects you'll have.

Since pens are often very thin, you need a pretty opaque blank- as opposed to say a bottle stopper that's quite thick.

For general recipe information, here's a resource I maintain:
Resin Color Library

jaywood1207

Thank you for all the comments. The pieces I will be pouring are small and I do not want them transluscent but will add some pearlex to them for effect.

Crokett, the colorants I picked up at Michaels a couple years ago give me a very transluscent blank plus I don't have the colours I want. There are more options in paint if that will work for me.

Top Bottom