littlelion

colored sand on epoxy

Attachments

• sabbia.jpg
    sabbia.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 367
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

That is a cool looking result you have there. I have played with a similar concept, using natural beach sand which contrasted with the wood I used. I was just trying different ideas, but never got it to a finished pen. I believe there is a lot of potential with this. For me, being in Hawaii, it is the "From Hawaii" theme. Others, and yourself may be able to incorporate the "local" appeal also. Good work!
Steve

Turned Around

I always thought it was a cool concept to mill out some grooves in wood and filling them with colored sand, then finishing with CA. Kind of get that different texture looks.

butchf18a

Not to step on little's parade here, I've done similar filling using powdered turquoise. Fill the void and drip on thin ca to secure it in place. I then sand it smooth finish using whichever methodology you like

Turned Around

I've done some inlay as well, but have always been curious of the colored sand. More curious about the sand itself. if you sand the..... well..... sand, does the natural color show if it's only dyed on the surface? Does CA make the dye on the sand bleed? I've done NATURAL inlay, but with dyed, I have no clue what to expect.

Top Bottom