Color treating wood to match Irish flag colors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey friends. I'm making a pine wood version of the Irish flag for my Irish buddy's birthday (on March 17th no less!) and I'm needing advice on how to produce the white and orange (have the green figured out already). I know I've seen bleaching and other wood whitening threads before but I don't remember what the products used to color treat were. I'd prefer using something that isn't opaque like paint, but lets the wood grain shine through as much as possible. What kind of white and orange color treatment would produce this effect...is it a stain I'm imagining? I'll be happy with traditional wood coloring techniques but I'd really prefer organic coloring materials...say like using turmeric powder for the orange, which I'm about to test.

Thanks ahead!

irish flag.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

You will never duplicate those colors on wood. But if you want dyes it will have to be wood dyes such as Trans tint dyes which are pretty intense but the color orange will be a muddy color. The only way to get true colors like that is use plastics. I was looking to do the colors of the flag when I did this Irish Claddagh pen years ago. You would get closer to colors with opaque paints on wood. good luck. Another thought, I used Rit dyes years ago with DNA as the mix and not water to prevent wood grain raise. You can get some great coloring with that.

Copy of IMGP0009.JPG

d_bondi

I use alcohol inks on occasion. I bought a cheap variety set off of Amazon.

I love how it makes the curly pop!
Do you turn down first, then color, then finish sand and add finish?
Would you mind sharing a link to the product?

cl1237

I love how it makes the curly pop!
Do you turn down first, then color, then finish sand and add finish?
Would you mind sharing a link to the product?
I turn and sand to final dimensions then wipe on the alcohol ink with the lathe off. It dries pretty quick but I usually hold off on applying my CA finish until the next day just to be safe.

d_bondi

I turn and sand to final dimensions then wipe on the alcohol ink with the lathe off. It dries pretty quick but I usually hold off on applying my CA finish until the next day just to be safe.

Thanks!
I picked up a nice piece of Curly Soft Maple (7" x 20" x 15/16") from the sale bin at Woodcraft a few months ago. This should be fun!

Top Bottom