Color Seperation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mather323

When mixing two colors into your casting mold ( Purple and Light Blue) if everthing is exactly the same would you be able to tell the difference between PR and the Alumilite buy how the colors mix. I guess what I am getting at is, would one of them have a more distinguished seperation of the colors in the cast than the other. Thanks for your input!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

One thing I know. If you use the ultrasonic cleaner to mix resin with, don't expect the colors to be separate. I used Blue, Green and Yellow, and after the cleaner, I got Bleenellow. I'll post pics soon. It turned out nice enough, but I need a lot of work...

Dale

When I mentioned that the ultrasonic helped with the mixing I meant the individual colors in individual color cups. The ultrasonic broke up the powder pigment that were still in dry powder clumps and made them mix into the resin.

For your color separations you pour the separate colors across each other- over each other when pouring them into the mold. You have to wait for the resin to begin to gel if you are using a laminating resin like Silmar 41. If you are using a Swing PR it is usually thick enough for the separate layers to support themselves.

S

spiritwoodturner

George, I should have known that without you saying so, but I got so eager to try my new toy, it was "Full Speed Ahead"! Did you catch my earlier post where I mentioned I did try a separate color mix, but used those opaque plastic cups from Costco? Melted right through them into the water. Thank goodness I caught it right when it was starting to go through, but that took some acetone to clean up!

Someday, I'll look back and laugh...

Dale

Top Bottom