Colon Surgery Advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

I'm sure some of you out there have had colon surgery. Well, next week I get to have about a foot (.3 meter) or so of it removed (the portion by my small intestine).

I'll follow the doctors orders for preparation and diet and all that stuff.

Just wondering if any of you had something that you felt helped you feel more comfortable or that you felt made the whole healing process better.
Ideas like: Boiled chicken with guacamole was easy on my system, or if I lay on my side and sing Sponge Bon Square Pants it will help me to pass gas, etc. would be helpful.

Thanks!
Dave

Oh - and prayers are always appreciated. Surgery is scheduled for early next week.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

A very good glass of wine very night. Have fun with the nurses then you are in the hospital! Play with them [in words] they will make your day !!!

May your surgery be successful.

Last edited:

stonepecker

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Spend as much time sleeping as you can.......sleep helps the body to heal.
Do EVERYTHING the doctor says to the letter.
I didn't and it took longer to heal.
When in pain.......TELL THEM. They have ways to relieve it. Don't suffer.

And let us know that everything is alright.......till then you are always in our thoughts. May everything go well for you.

I don't know what portion of the bowels they worked on, but about 5 years or so back I had a strangulated hernia near my belly button.. called an umbilical hernia. I know they took out about 8 or 9 inches of intestine along there.

The worst part of the healing process was, they didn't feed me for a week. Only thing I could take by mouth was ice and it always gave me the hiccups. Hiccups are a hard thing when you've been gutted like a fish and then stapled back together. Other than the hiccups, I had no problems with the surgery and fortunately they only lasted a few minutes. I was hooked up to a pain med iv drip and instructed that if I was in pain, push the button. Same advice as the Stonepecker... if you're in pain, take the meds and sleep as much as you can. And as Bill advised, make friends with your nurses... they're wonderful people and most are very helpful...

Good luck with your surgery... will keep good thoughts going your way.

low_48

My Mother had about that much removed 30 years ago, acute diverticulitis. Some modifications to her diet for the rest of her life, and occasional diarrhea, but not a lot of trouble.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
It depends a lot on your general health otherwise...my brother had that and you don't want to hear about it. I have said a prayer for successful surgery and a fast recovery.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Just got done with hernia surgery. 2 weeks ago, a 4" incision.

For ME... The night after was easy... The next two days were more painful (I do take pain very well; took no pain meds.), the next 10 days were not bad - coughing/laughing, etc... was painful, but not too bad. After 2 weeks, all is good. I will still limit my lifting for two more weeks, but I am driving, lifting small amounts, but in general all is fine.

My thoughts are with you; your issue is more serious than mine! Do whatever you are recommended to do! Most of these surgeries are pretty commonplace, but follow all recommendations. Take your time - something I DO NOT do well...

Rest Easy - feel free to PM me... EVERY DAY!!! We can chat and get better together!

Best REgards, Mark.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
My wife had surgery for a hernia that removed some intestine. The surgery was not too bad but the infection and Clostridium difficile (called C. diff) that she contracted kept her out of circulation for two weeks after she left the hospital. That is one of the things called a "super bug" and very difficult to treat.

plantman

Dave; I had part of my colon removed several years ago, so I can tell you first hand what to expect. Nothing to it, really !!! You will have to go through the cleansing the night before. This can turn into a pain in the butt depending on what they make you drink. They take you in, prep you, bring you to the operating room and put you to sleep. The next thing you remember is waking up in your hospital bed with Florence Knightengail leaning over your bed asking you how you are feeling. He/she will lift up your gown to look at the three band aids covering your entry points to see if there is any bleeding present. Next you will notice the tube running into your nose and down your throat into your stomach to drain any acids that may build up there. That was the worst part of the whole stay !! You won't have to worry about food choices as they will be hanging in the plastic bag next to your bed draining into your iv's. They have put your bowel to sleep so your digestive system can rest and heal, thus the tube down your throat. They will have a catheter installed so you won't have to get out of bed to use the bathroom. They will offer you pain pills if needed and sleeping pills at night. You will be awakened ever four hours to take your blood and other vital signs. After a few days the staples may start to tighten up a little as you heal, but no big deal. When you feel you are able, you can take your little iv post for a walk down the halls. First test you have to pass to get home is just that, you have to be able to pass gas. The tube should be removed by now. Once that has happened your bowel will be up and running and you can get some real food. You now should be allowed to move freely, freshen yourself up and chase the nurses around. Next test, what went in must come out. This assures the staff that your bowel is working properly. By now seven to ten days have passed and you are ready to have the staples taken out and feel the sunshine beating on your face. Couple more band aids and your out the door. Other than watching what you lift for a while, life goes on as normal. I can't say I had any bad pain or problems from this and it tested negative. Good Luck and a speedy recovery. Jim S

Last edited:

lyonsacc

Thanks for all the comments and prayers.

I am going to need to tell myself (and my wife) that I need to rest and take it easy after coming home.

Dave

SAWDUST 101

Passed Away Jan 7, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Dave,

Thanks for bringing up this subject, I'm about to go thru the same in the next few weeks and the comments of all has helped me along too. My surgery will take out all, colon and rectum and I will have to use the "bag" the rest of my life. At near 80, I'm not looking forward to this.

Again thanks and our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family and I know that God will take care of both of us no matter what. The best advice I can give is to trust in God and give Thanks in your prayers, this is what I intend to do also. Please let us know how you doing.

God Bless,

Don

lyonsacc

Hi Dave,

Thanks for bringing up this subject, I'm about to go thru the same in the next few weeks and the comments of all has helped me along too. My surgery will take out all, colon and rectum and I will have to use the "bag" the rest of my life. At near 80, I'm not looking forward to this.

Again thanks and our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family and I know that God will take care of both of us no matter what. The best advice I can give is to trust in God and give Thanks in your prayers, this is what I intend to do also. Please let us know how you doing.

God Bless,

Don

Goodness - that is a lot worse than what I have to deal with. We will be praying for you!!

Dave

TurtleTom

It's afterwards when there are problems.
If you need to lock up the colon for awhile, spaghetti will do it.
Before you go into surgery, make it clear you will need heated blankets!! Trust me on this.
They have them in there anyway, but it gives you something to chat about with all those gorgeous surgery nurses. They made it worthwhile.

Jim15

Hi Dave,

God Bless,

Don

Don, you will be in my prayers also.

low_48

Hi Dave,

God Bless,

Don

My neighbor went through a surgery like your upcoming event Don. He did very well with the "bag". Sure, it took a bit to get used to it, but it worked very well for him. I used to tease him how he gets any reading done, since there wasn't any sitting time in the bathroom! Best of luck to you!

SAWDUST 101

Passed Away Jan 7, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Dave,

Good Luck with your surgery this week, you will be in our thoughts and prayers that all will be a success.

Don

I had colon surgery three years ago next week. They removed a tumor and about 10 inches or so of my colon. Truthfully the worst part of the recovery was the first 24 hours following surgery. They will probably give you morphine after the surgery (I had a little button I could push every 8 minutes and it didn't seem to do anything). Try to get off the morphine as soon as you can. You will feel much better overall. The morning following my surgery they made me stand up and I couldn't believe how much better it made me feel. I really don't think I did any thing special for recovery. The Docs wanted me to be up and walking several times a day which helps a lot. The first few days there was no solid food (I think until after first bowel movement).

At home it was just get out and walk every day. Only time I had special diet was during chemo when taste buds were all screwy.

Certainly it was no fun but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. Feel free to contact me directly if you've got any more questions. In the meantime, you'll be in my prayers

Mike

Top Bottom