Collet Holder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

Can a MT2 ER32 collet holder be used for penturning?

Similar to this?

attachment.php

I'd have to use a drawbar, but other than that inconvenience, is there any problem using this style versus the beall/PSI style that screws on to the threads of the headstock?

These run about $20 bucks, and the individual collets are around 10 bucks each. So I could potentially have $30 bucks invested to hold blanks to drill on the lathe.

Last edited:

KenV

The difference with the MT collets and those like the Beal style that thread onto the headstock is that the stock has limited depth in the collet before it bottoms out on the MT shank. That limits some longer opportunities like some dip pen designs (also knitting needles, chopsticks and similar) where you do not want long lengths slapping around. For bottle stoppers, normal closed end pens, it is a matter of style and future applications. While not a flexible, there are MT2 collets with drawbars that run about 8-10 each available from the Little Machine Shop and other vendors. The ER collets give you more choices and finer hold within a narrow range of sizes -- each spans about 1 mm or 1/16 inch - then need a different size. 3/4 inch, 3/8 inch 5/16 (or 8mm) and 1/4 inch are the sizes I use the most. Have some others, but do not use them as much.

Top Bottom