Collet Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

I'm considering purchasing a collet chuck set. I have found several in the $90 range
( CSUSA and PSI ). I was wondering what all you guys ( and galls ) think of these?
Is there is something better out there that I am not aware of?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I'd probably avoid the one that uses the morse taper, since that means you'll
need a drawbar. That will interfere with how far into the chuck you can put something.
It will work, it's just somewhat limiting.

Russianwolf

There is also the one from Beale

I like my Beale. The main difference between the Beale and PSI models is that the PSI is knurled on the outside, which make it easier to grip, but I've never had a problem with doing the same on the smooth Beale. And no risk of losing a knuckle if you hit it while spinning.

jskeen

JR makes some really sexy pieces of metal if you can afford them, but I personally have a psi because of the knurling (and the price). That and a set of collets off ebay, and your're good to go.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I just got the Craft Supply collet set. It appears to be the same as the PSI set.
I plan on going on EBay and getting more collets.
I've used it several times and have no issues with it.

MarkD

I'm presently leaning toward the Craft Supply collet set. It looks like there is a $15 off on orders over $100 which is valid through today. That set comes with 5 collets from 1/4 - 3/4. What other size collets can you use with that chuck?

Russianwolf

I'm presently leaning toward the Craft Supply collet set. It looks like there is a $15 off on orders over $100 which is valid through today. That set comes with 5 collets from 1/4 - 3/4. What other size collets can you use with that chuck?

I believe they all use the ER32 Collets, range about 1mm - 20mm, 1/16th -7/8ths if memory serves.

KenV

I have both Beall and CUSA collet chucks -- Beall has a better finish and both work just fine with similar runout.

Most common sizes used are 1/4 for mandrel, 5/16 or 8mm for the "B" mandrel, and the 1/2 - 5/8 and 3/4 for holding materials for drilling. 1/2 inch holds many of the brass shell cases

800Watt on E-Bay for ER32 collets has been a good source for me.

bnoles

Will the ER32 up to 1" collet size work well with the midi lathes? I have the Jet 1220 Vs and thinking about getting a collet chuck.

Last edited:

KenV

ER32 Collets go just a bit over 3/4 inch maximum bore -- and you get the extra bit in metric sets, though a few vendors do go to 25/32 -- Not close to a full inch collet opening

The threaded mounts will fit a 1 inch by 8 thread per inch head stock from most of the regular vendors.

KenV

Thanks for the correction on the sizing Ken. I would still like to know if this size range will work with my lathe.

TIA

The PSI version come in 3/4 by 16 and 1 by 8

Beall comes from 3/4 by 16 and larger for standard threads including 1 by 8

CUSA comes in 1 1/4 by 8 with an adapter to 1 by 8

The Woodcraft house brand comes in the headstock threads but does not use a standard ER collet.

If you can find a holder to fit the threads on your lathe -- the ER40 collets are larger -- but I have not found them for wood lathe use.

side note -- Kelton sells lathe tool handles that use ER collets -- the smaller handle uses ER16 and goes up to 10 mm ~ 3/8 inch. The larger handle uses ER25 collets and goes up to 16 mm ~ 5/8 inch. Both are very secure and with a change of collets handle everything except the 3/4 inch shank or larger tools. It is easier to take a tool out of the handle to sharpen as a bonus.

bnoles

Thanks y'all... I do have the 1X8 TPI and am looking at the PSI chuck as my best price/option for what I am wanting to do.

You have been most helpful and I appreciate you.

Top Bottom