Collet chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TXTRNR

I am trying to find out if the woodriver collet chuck uses the ER32 collets. I have contacted both my local woodcraft stores and they don't know!!

Thank you

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
er32 will go up to 3/4 in inches 20mm in metric, er25 I believe goes to 5/8. they may not even be a standard er size.

its_virgil

:wink:You may want to read these reviews...especially a couple of them.

WoodRiver Turners Collet Chuck Set #2 MT Reviews | Buzzillions.com

I would not want an MT2 chuck unless I was also using a drawbar. The chucks that do use ER32 such as the Beall or the ones sold by PSI or Craft Supplies would be a better choice, at least for me. Good luck.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

KenV

They were not a standard ER collet a couple years ago when I was checking. Who knows what may have changed.

If they are not advertised as meeting a standard, probably do not.

I have Bealle and CUSA collet chucks and find both are good. Bealle is a bit better finished, but costs more. CUSA fits 1 1/4 by 8 and 1 by 8 threads (I have both).

TXTRNR

I had bought these a couple years ago not knowing what to buy. Maybe I should invest in better ones

crabcreekind

They have some weird size collet, the people at the local woodcraft dont even try to sell people them, because they are impossible to find collets for.

randyrls

I seriously doubt that they are custom made only for Woodriver. The expense of creating a non-standard collet would make them prohibitively expensive to manufacture or sell. They may be a "DA" series just from the look

If someone who has one would measure the front, back, and angle(s) with calipers, we might be able to find out. All of the standard collets have published standards.

TXTRNR

When deciding on a collet for a specific task how do you decide on what size to get. I understand the er32 has a compression range of .039. is it better to get one that is closer in diameter open or compressed?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I find its better to compress than to open them up for fit. I have both the metric and inch sets. IF I had to pick one I would pick the metric set. I have seen it stated that allthough they will spread open to fit its not the best thing for them.

TXTRNR

Im not really talking about opening them up. an example I'm looking at is the 30 cal bullets. they measure .308. there are 3 collets that fit that range. They are .312,.315, & .3281

lorbay

Im not really talking about opening them up. an example I'm looking at is the 30 cal bullets. they measure .308. there are 3 collets that fit that range. They are .312,.315, & .3281

A 12 mm fits them just perfect.

Lin.

Top Bottom