Collet chuck systems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

Does anyone know if this would be a decent collet chuck set?

I was looking at a couple others but they are all sold out. I can't afford the Beale system, so looking for a decent set around $100.
Thanks for any advice/help!
Bobby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Turner's Warehouse carries the one from PSI, I just got one myself (as a generous gift) and I've heard great things about it.

BCnabe

I was looking at a couple others but they are all sold out. I can't afford the Beale system, so looking for a decent set around $100.
Bobby
I have had that set from Craft supplies for about 5-6 years and really like it and have had no issues. I purchased additional collets of various sizes on Amazon. As long as they are ER-32 they will fit.

I just checked exoticblanks.com and they have the PSI version in stock.

bsshog40

I have had that set from Craft supplies for about 5-6 years and really like it and have had no issues. I purchased additional collets of various sizes on Amazon. As long as they are ER-32 they will fit.

I just checked exoticblanks.com and they have the PSI version in stock.
I looked there and it looks like it's the same set as from craft supplies. Same price too. Thanks!

mmayo

Bobby
The complete Beale buff system cost me less than $100??? Ok it is now a bit more at $109.

randyrls

To join the thread; There is an veritable alphabet soup of collet chucks used by metal machinists. You want to make sure of the chuck you are buying. ER-32 is a fairly standard chuck/collet family/style. There are DA, DG, TG, R8, AND (ER chucks come in various sizes ER-8, 11, 16, 20, 25, 32, 40, and ER-50). ER collets and chucks are NOT interchangeable among "families". An ER-16 collet will NOT fit in an ER-32 chuck!

Metric ER-32 collets will cover the entire spectrum without "gaps" in the coverage. Fractional ER-32 collets will have gaps in the coverage in the larger sizes ie greater than 1/2".

There is also a specific "loading" order for the collets. First insert the collet into the collet nut and make sure the ring on the collet engages the ring on the inside of the collet nut. Then screw the nut onto the chuck. Now load the workpiece or drill bit into the collet and tighten the collet. You may need spanner or pin wrenches to engage the collet chuck and nut.

egnald

I bought an inexpensive ER32 set (fractional) a couple of years ago, and then bought two oversized collets, a 13/16 and a 7/8. I think I bought them from Little Machine Shop.com. Someday I will buy a metric set, but so far everything I have needed one for has worked in a fractional collet. Although most were relatively inexpensive they have served me well.

Regards,
Dave

PS I initially used ER32's for my the pin chucks and threaded mandrels, but always follow up with dedicated MT2 Tool Holders of the appropriate sizes so I can just have my tools loaded up, tweaked in, and ready to go at all times.

bsshog40

I went ahead and bought the craft supplies collet set. I mainly needed it for my duck call mandrel that has a 3/8" smooth shaft on it. My drill chuck wasn't able to hold it steady enough. The mandrel actually flew off once. Lol No damage done. All the beale sets I looked at were at least $170. Little too expensive for what I'm needing the set for. The CS set is supposed to be knurled for tightening but pretty sure it comes with a tool also for tightening. It should be coming in tomorrow.

bsshog40

Well it looks like a pretty decent set. Each part was in it's own lubricated wrapping. Will hopefully try it out next week.

20230915_111352.jpg

Top Bottom