Coin Holder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JCochrun

JCochrun

Finally finished this project. Cut all of the pieces then when putting them together, I discovered that my angles were 1/2 degree off. Not a big deal but it did leave gaps on every piece. So I recut every piece. Made a base to allow it to rotate. Base consisted of a piece of purpleheart wood and a piece of plumbing PVC. Inside the holder itself, I mounted another piece of plumbing PVC that fit perfectly inside the base. No noisy ball bearings from the lazy susans that I have found. Going to be making another one but it will be a square, not an octagon. Less angles to worry about. Now that I have a laser engraver, the next one will have the top piece engraved to make it a little more personalized for the customer.

Jim
Penn Valley, CA

Attachments

• 285.JPG
    285.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 328
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

I love it! Its a really cool design. Although a square holder would be less difficult to cut successfully, there is no doubt that this is the one that would catch the eye of the buying public. Are you sure that more experience making cuts such as these would not reduce the error factor you seek to avoid? Just my two cents.

toddlajoie

Maybe you could do it as a circle (with a slightly larger channel so it could hold the coin considering the arc...) and eliminate the cutting all together, just use a router with a circle template...

But I do like the faceted one, I think it looks fantastic...

Dick Mahany

I like that display very much. Never saw one like it.

As far as gaps in the angles, if you were to glue it up in 2 halves, ignoring any angle mismatch, then each half could be touched with a belt sander or saw for a final glue up with out gaps. I've done this on segmented pieces and it works well.

Top Bottom