Coffee Wood Euro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tinker

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinker

I had a couple of hours for the shop for the first time in awhile so I practiced the Euro style. I started the taper too soon and the clip will not seat on the barrel and I got careless at the nib. My main concentration was on the tenon with the new bushings. I also turned the lower barrel with the nib on the wrong end, so the grain doesn't match up. If it is true that you learn from your mistakes, I learned volumns today. I was in a hurry and had a ton of other things on my mind, shouldn't even be in the shop in that condition.
LOML pointed out the grain difference.;)

200581722914_100.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

The grain thing doesn't bother me and you have already pointed out the error with the nib. But, the clip problem is puzzling. Your upper barrel seems to be OK. I don't recognize the clip, what was your source for this kit? Can you adjust the clip to fit the barrel? I have had the opposite problem. Upper barrels must be fairly straight or there is no space between the clip and wood for slipping over the cloth of a shirt pocket. Sorry, but I don't find the wood very impressive. I'll drink my coffee. [:)]

Chris Hare

If it is a "woodcraft" kit. there should be a tension small screw and spring that holds the clip to the "cap". If you loosen the screw the clip may sit better.

Hope this helps.

alamocdc

It looks like the same clip used on the Olympia, which is spring tensioned. But they normally have a negative incidence so the fit against the barrel shouldn't be a problem... especially on this one.

tinker

The coffee wood is not impressive, that is why I bought it to practice with. The blanks were 50 cents each from rockler.
The clip is adjustable, from woodcraft. I have adjusted and had no luck. I will disassemble it to save the hardware and pay more attention to detail next time.

Doghouse

First euro I did had the opposite problem. Too bulbous of a top. I even have done the other problem. I cut the tenon on a tip end of a flattop American and had to assemble it backward. Oh Well! We all make mistakes. I am proud of you for showing them to all of us! I think we should do a show off your oops thread some time so that the new people can realize we all still make mistakes. [;)]

tinker

I took a class from a fellow penturner and forgot about dividing the barrel into thirds mentally. If I had done that, I would not have made that mistake. I have to remind myself to "think, stupid" not "think stupid"[:I]
I haven't been in the shop since making this pen, high school football takes a presidence right now. Monday through Friday, then Saturday for chores and Sunday for relaxing. I have to make a couple of pens for the charity auction and one that is commissioned, so I will have to fix the schedule for that soon.
Edit: I think the ooops thread idea is a great one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom