Cocobolo with Aluminum Scallops and Amboyna Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikespenturningz

I think this may be the finest pen created through my hands to date. It was a pleasure to make this one from start to finish. I hope you like it.

il_570xN.458839824_r2fb.jpg

il_570xN.458847933_kehv.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Parshooter11

Mike, I can only dream of making pens of such great design and workmanship! I better get to more practicing. Love your pens on Etsy!

MikeL

I have liked all your pens but I must agree with you on "the finest pen" yet. Good luck trying to top this one! Very nice.

Simply Elegant design Mike! I love the detail that you put into your pens. I can only imagine the amount of time you put into this design. You know Amboyna Burl was one of the first woods used by Rolls Royce in their cars. This design is definitely in that class and I could see it in one of their cars. Very nicely done.

Excellent job on matching up the scallops when the pen is capped. Even the points on the ends line up. Very inspiring.

Janster

....... very well done Mike. Don't know how I missed this one? Be well.........Jan

You can never go wrong with amboyna that is for sure. I got that and the cocobolo from Alton (greenmtguy) I think is his name here. I think he may be getting ready to post some of his wood on the forum. If he does I wouldn't wait long to order he has some really nice stuff he is looking at selling....

No pics of this one but it uses most of the same cuts that I have covered to date. Straight cuts and 45 degree cuts so a little practice and trial and error will get the entire process down from what I have already given and read from the library.

Mike

Awesome work. Is there any pics of the glue up or process? It looks difficult.

Yes the next pen that I am making is like this one but features Blood Wood scallops and some very highly figured Cocobolo that I got from you Alton. I went over to Alton's and got the chance to check out some really nice Cocobolo that he was cutting up. I also got a rare chance to purchase a bit of this wood. It is stunning and you will get to see some of it tomorrow or the next day when I get a chance to turn the blank that I glued the tubes in tonight. I can see from the turning that I did to get to the point that I could drill that this is going to be a new best for me I hope, that Cocobolo is just stunning thanks Alton.

Mike,
Can't wait to see the Cocobolo combo you create! Is that next? Super job on this one.

Top Bottom