Cocobolo Letter Opener

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draken

First try with cocobolo. I've read that is can be hard to finish due to the oils so for this one, I left it pretty natural. Sanded up through 1500 and applied two coats of TSW. Don't have a power buffer yet (should have bought the buffing shaft for the lathe, doh!) so this is hand buffed. Comments welcome.
200647153937_0025EuroLOCocoboloCropScale.jpg

Cheers,
Draken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

Draken because of the oils cocobolo is one of the woods that you can get away with no finish. If you do want to do a finish though I found that by using a lacquer base sanding sealer first seals in the oil and then you can finish with no problems. Also sanding in the sanding dust with CA to fill the pores will hep it look better sometimes.

It looks like you've been pretty busy lately, good job.

Wayne

Draken

Wow Wayne, you're three for three today on the helpful suggestions, I certainly appreciate them! Would I be able to lightly sand this (1500 grit) to remove some of the TSW then finish it with the sanding sealer and lacquer? This one will also be a gift, so I want it to look as nice as it can.

Thanks!
Draken

airrat

I like it, nice match up with the kit. Are you going to do a matching pen to go with it?

I work with cocobolo alot Draken, dont be afraid of the oils in it. I have done a number with CA finish and no problems. I do a light wipe with DNA about 5 min before the first coat of thin CA. Use either canned air or compressor to blow out the sanding dust.

ilikewood

I'll reply here too.

Soak the Cocobolo with CA...sand it back down to the wood (CA as a pore filler)...then use lacquer or any of the other finishes. I prefer lacquer because it is one of the best on Cocobolo.

You did a great job on that letter opener. Looks like a keeper!!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Draken - the TSW can be sanded off in a few seconds with Micro-mesh. Use around the 4000-6000 range (it's a thin layer unless you made multiple applications).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom