CNC questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turned Around

OK, for some reason, I haven't been able to post on here for almost a month. I tried, but it never actually posted. So now I get to ask all my questions that have been bugging me for a while.

I baught a used Emco CNC. My goal is to basically update it with modern software. Everything on it works just fine. I'm not the best at G-Code, hence me wanting to update it. It already has the step motors (which work) so no ned for updating those yet. I already took out the RS-232 cable and converted it to a 15 pin to accept my laptop.

So I guess, the next step is picking the right software. Do I need anything special to make it compatable with the old lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turned Around

Only one way to find out. How will I know if my processor can handle it? i can't find schematics or even a manual for my lathe.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Does your lathe have a controler with it or is it just the lathe? If it has a controller you may have to use propriatary software to run it. That or replace the controller. Mach does not play nice with Laptops unless you use the "Smooth Stepper" and get the new ether net one not the usb one.

Turned Around

I have no clue. It's an Emco Compact 5 CNC.
It has the big panel on the back of it.
Here's what I have.....

IMG_20120517_074342.jpg

IMG_20120517_074348.jpg

IMG_20120517_074352.jpg

IMG_20120517_074414.jpg

Turned Around

i actually did find the manual for it the other day. cnczone.com didn't have too much helpful stuff for me. at least not yet, it was all a bit advanced for me.

Turned Around

wow. thanks, Pete. i'll definitely look into that. looks like he has it running right and compatable with his laptop, that's the hard part.

Top Bottom