cnc how to convert a lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

trapper

Hi all
has anyone any experience of converting a small bench lathe to cnc i have a siegec2 that iwant to convert/ upgrade to make components and particularly clock parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jd99

I've converted a large plane jane engine lathe to CNC some time ago, it was not an easy job, but it was not impossible.

I'm sure with the advancments since I did that conversion it would be fairly easy, now days.

trapper

thanks all . I've managed to find a guy firly local to me who has agreed to make up the controller and supply me with motors it seems that the major task for me will be to fabricate adapters to fit the setup on the lathe........ If I can work out a "how to" article supporting pics or video I'll post it in due course

Kaspar

Thanks for this. I recent bought one of Brian Grey (Edison) pens from a group buy at FPN. The perfection of the threading on that thing is beyond beautiful. No way you can get that with taps and dies no matter how good, unless you want to spend a fortune of precise taps and dies for every possible diameter and type of material. The tightness of the diameters, and the cleanliness of the threads on Brian's pens is nigh perfect. He mentioned in his thread about the group buy that he uses a combination of hand-controlled and cnc lathing for both custom and production runs. For threading, he uses the latter and he has formulae for every diameter and material type.

This is a direction I want to go and this article will help.

My dream lathe is this guy ...

SB1001 8K or this guy SB1001 8K

... retrofitted for CNC.

Top Bottom