Closed end slimline (how to add a clip?) and long clicker

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RetiredJake

RetiredJake

Just had to make another closed end slimline, but without a clip, they have limited usability. Anyone with ideas on how to add a clip, please comment.

The slimline is walnut and maple, laminated horizontally.

The long clicker is walnut and cherry, with aluminum inlay.

Both pens received a coating of BLO that was allowed to cure for a week. Then 15 coats of thin CA and a topcoat of Mylands Friction Polish.

C&C's welcome.

Jake

Attachments

• IMG_3145_resized.JPG
    IMG_3145_resized.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3148_resized.JPG
    IMG_3148_resized.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3147_resized.JPG
    IMG_3147_resized.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3149_resized.JPG
    IMG_3149_resized.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_3150_resized.JPG
    IMG_3150_resized.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_3152_resized.JPG
    IMG_3152_resized.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 165
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

I am pretty sure there is an article in the library on how to add a clip to a closed end pen. I haven't tried it yet, but it looked pretty doable. Of course it may be a bit more difficult as an after thought.

RetiredJake

I'm a fan of the long clicker, and you've hit a home run with that one. Just 1 question. Why wait a week after applying BLO?

I usually give it 2 or 3 days, but had to teach a motorcycle class this weekend, so they sat a little long than usual.

BSea

I'm a fan of the long clicker, and you've hit a home run with that one. Just 1 question. Why wait a week after applying BLO?

I usually give it 2 or 3 days, but had to teach a motorcycle class this weekend, so they sat a little long than usual.
I should have been clearer. Is there a reason to wait at all? I've used BLO & applied CA within 10 minutes with no problems. But maybe I'm missing something. I started using BLO because I heard it made the grain "POP" a little more. But I really don't notice much difference (If any). So I really don't use it much anymore. But if waiting a few days enhances the look, I'm fine with giving it a try.

RetiredJake

I should have been clearer. Is there a reason to wait at all? I've used BLO & applied CA within 10 minutes with no problems. But maybe I'm missing something. I started using BLO because I heard it made the grain "POP" a little more. But I really don't notice much difference (If any). So I really don't use it much anymore. But if waiting a few days enhances the look, I'm fine with giving it a try.

I wait to allow the BLO to oxidize/cure, then buff it on the lathe with a cloth. I have tried it both ways, still not sure which is actually better. I agree with you, I don't see a lot of difference in the grain 'pop' using the BLO. Will probably quit using it, just haven't made up my mind yet.

Jake

Alzey

I will have to try waiting a couple days on the BLO before I go to CA. The main reason I use BLO is the seal the wood prior to the CA. For me, this has prevented that foggy look you get with some oily woods under CA.

Top Bottom