Closed end, single piece slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RetiredJake

RetiredJake

Wanted to see if I could do it. Made a pin vise from the library entry using a 1/4-20 bolt and an o-ring I had hanging on the pegboard. Grabbed a piece of my mystery wood, drilled it 4 1/4" deep and went for it. I plugged one end of the first tube with wax, put a bunch of epoxy in the hole and then pushed the tube in. The wax kept the tube clear and the tube wiped the walls of the hole enough so that the second tube was just a snug fit. While turning, the loose end was pretty springy, didn't even think about using the tail stock until it was all over, DUH! Finished with 10 coats of CA, but didn't spend much time on it, after all, this is a prototype.

Anyway, here it is. C&C appreciated.

Jake

Attachments

• DSC_4900_resized.JPG
    DSC_4900_resized.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC_4918_resized.JPG
    DSC_4918_resized.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC_4917_resized.JPG
    DSC_4917_resized.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 213
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

That's something I've been trying to figure out a way to do since the day I turned my first one piece. My hat's off to you, sir. That's pretty freakin' awesome.

RetiredJake

I don't think it's black cherry, the wood is very, very light in weight. The dealer told me it was spalted maple, but no one that has handled it agrees.

Jgrden

My hat is off to you too. The end was done very well. Now I need to transfer what you did to aluminum so that I can make a pen that looks like a flute.

SDB777

It's always fun to try new stuff with Slims. And when I get down far enough on my 'tuit list'....this is on there. Thanks for the 1/4-20 tip, I remember reading that somewhere else, but you have just given me the 'refresher' I needed!

Nice finish on that blank too!

Scott (purty sweet) B

Top Bottom