Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Pen Man
<br />How do you make them?
What tools do you need?
any one got detailed pitchures and instructions

Tom,

Go to the Full Articles List at the bottom of the home page. There is an informational article there by D.W. Frommer that should help. Also, try the search feature usings closed end pens. Jeff has a great site for us, lots and lots of good information is out there if you are willing to look for it.

Hope this helps,

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />You need a pin chuck.

Fangar is selling some right now.

Unless I am mistaken there are ways to make closed end pens other than with a pin chuck. The one I made was turned between centers. No pin chuck was used. There is a picture in my album of the pen. Made cap and body the same way.

Chuckie

Fangar

Originally posted by Chuck Key
Unless I am mistaken there are ways to make closed end pens other than with a pin chuck. The one I made was turned between centers. No pin chuck was used. There is a picture in my album of the pen. Made cap and body the same way.

Chuckie

Chuckie is absolutely correct. You can turn them between live centers without the need for a pin chuck.

Also, if you have an adjustable mandrel, you can shorten it so that it fist inside of your closed end blank with the leftmost portion of the blank over the mandrel still using the proper bushing. Then the live center is brought up and holds the blank in place. The issue here is that once the live center is removed that the end grain (which is often the most challenging to sand and finish) must be somehow sanded and finished.

The pin chuck allows the blank to be held in place firmly without movement, and allows one to address the end cuts, sanding and finishing with consistent results.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Fangar

Deere41h

To date all of my closed end Barons have been made with just a standard 7mm mandrel and pin jaws in my Vicmarc chuck. I have been asked to do a tutorial on how to do them and am in the process of putting that together. Hope to have it complete soon.

I did order a pin chuck from James though and look forward to trying one with it. I make the Baron/Jr. Gent closed end so it can be either a fountain pen or a roller ball. That way the customer has a choice when he buys it. It can be assembled either way. You have to be careful with the spring if you make it a Fountain pen and use a pump for ink. The spring will add to much friction and when screwing the pen together will force the ink out.

Of course there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I've done baseball bats pen between centers.
I've rapped a blank onto a drill bit and mounted this in a drill chuck to turn a closed end pen.
If you have a little extra wood on the blank, pin jaws work great.

But once I used a pin chuck, I was hooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom