Closed End Pen Assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodpenman

When making a closed end pen ( Jr Gent / Baron Upper Tube Type ) sometimes there is a problem with the tube sliding in when pressed together. One fix for that is to glue a second piece of brass tube in, making the tube unable to slide in any more when being pressed.

What if? - Press the threaded part onto the brass tube before gluing the brass tube into the wood then glue and slide the pressed together assembly into the closed end piece of wood.

Anyone see any problems?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

You want to turn w/o the tube?

BTW, what glue are you using that it slides? Is it failing while turning? Maybe you need to use something else and make sure the prep work is done properly (i.e. roughen the surface properly).

How about drilling just the right depth to begin with? You will have to step drill though (smaller size for the refill).

Woodpenman

Turn w/o tube - Yes that is how I make the closed end pen. I use an expanding mandrel.

Glue - I use poly for the tube to wood. Once at this stage the pen is finished, no more turning. The glue is not failing I just am exploring an easier/quicker way to assemble without using 1 1/2 brass tubes on each upper barrel.

Step Drill - Yes that is idea but at this point more trouble than it is worth.

karlkuehn

Banned
YoYo (Ed Davidson) said in his video that you could just buy lengths of the right sized tubing and cut them if you want to use single piece stuff.

I've been just using a 'stepped' hole (another Yoyo tip) that has a shoulder at the backend that holds the single tube from sliding in any farther.

Other than that, if you're able to turn without the tube in the blank, I don't see why you couldn't put the fitting in the brass tube before gluing it in there. :)

MichaelS

Nothing is ever more trouble than it is worth if it is worth the trouble to do it right.

Woodpenman

Nothing is ever more trouble than it is worth if it is worth the trouble to do it right.

I agree - But at this time I am just exploring what the "Right" method might be.

igran7

Why don't you glue the brass tube in prior to turning? I have made some closed end and closed top end pens and always turn with the brass in prior to turning, and I too use an expanding mandrel. Why do you choose to turn without the brass tube?

If weight were an issue or you were using other kits or non kit parts then turning without yhe tube is an option, but you are asking how to insert the brass tube in so I assume you are sticking to kit parts. Then the RIGHT method you seek is to glue the brass tube in prior to turning.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Woodpenman

When making a closed end pen ( Jr Gent / Baron Upper Tube Type ) sometimes there is a problem with the tube sliding in when pressed together. One fix for that is to glue a second piece of brass tube in, making the tube unable to slide in any more when being pressed.

What if? - Press the threaded part onto the brass tube before gluing the brass tube into the wood then glue and slide the pressed together assembly into the closed end piece of wood.

Anyone see any problems?
I think you are inviting a lot more work for a problem which should not exist. If the brass is securely glued into the blank and if the ends of the tube are chamfered, there should not be sufficient pressure to separate the tube from the blank. Many of us make pens with partial tubes or with tubes which do not go to the bottom of the drilled hole. BTW, what is the advantage of turning without the tube if you are going to insert the tube?

Woodpenman

Joe - Thanks You finally turned on the almost burnt out light bulb in this old head!

For some reason I was locked into turning without the brass tube. I did not like this method as I thought there is not much wood left on the barrel to be applying those outward forces without fear of splitting. Plus it would be difficult to get proper rotary alignment glueing the brass in after turning.

Now I understand.

Not sure where I got the wrong idea in the first place. Maybe when I first tried the expanding mandrel I thought it was to tight of a fit on the brass tube so it must be meant to use w/o the brass.

Thanks for the help.

avbill

i got so excited one time and put the tube into the drill blank and forgot to glue. I could not understand why the mandrel was spinning as I could hold the wood. This was after my RG stopped the blank and the blank did not pick up the speed of the mandrel after I took off the RG. Blank came out OK.

bill daniels

MichaelS

Drill blank, glue in tube, square end, put on mandrel, turn. As I say to myself,do it right, do it once.

pipeyeti

Originally posted by Woodpenman

Anyone see any problems?

Why are you drilling the hole deepr than the tube length? Use the proper size drill to make the hole the correct depth for the tube, if you need a deeper hole then use a smaller size bit to acomplish this that way you create a step and the tube will not get pushed in farther than it should.

Top Bottom