Closed-end Mandrel, yet another way.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

I love Skiprat's tutorial on making a closed-end mandrel.

I'd like to share, without the cool photos:( (or super-cool buffing mandrel) how I make one. It's very easy. All you need is:

some 5/8 or 3/4" brass or aluminum rod,
a good chuck,
some 80 or 100 grit sandpaper (pieces of sanding belt are the BEST)
digital calipers

I've made a couple dozen closed-end pens this way (Baron, Gents/Jrs, Churchill/Elgrandes, etc...) and have yet to have a gripe with it.

1) Using a jaw chuck, hold a 4-5" long piece of brass or aluminum rod. I actually use a Beall collet chuck, with a 3/4" or 5/8" collet (depending on how thick the brass/aluminum rod is). Finding the aluminum/brass rod locally (ie, cheaply) is the hard part and I have almost resorted to ordering it online. If anyone has any they'd like to share (ie, sell or swap) send me an email via my IAP name.

2) Be sure 2-3" of rod are sticking out of the collet/chuck, cinch the chuck tight, and bring up the tailstock.

3) Using the largest spindle or bowl gouge you have, hog away the brass to form a tenon about 1.5-2" long and fairly close to the diameter of the pen tube you are mating up with. I prefer a longer tenon myself. Wear safety glasses (duh) and long sleeves (hot metal slivers aren't fun).

4)When you have turned your tenon nearly to the size you want, use 80 grit sandpaper to sand it down so that the pen tube slides onto it WITH SOME RESISTANCE. No sloppy fits, but no "super tight" fits either. If you get this right, the pen blank won't free-wheel on you unless you are too aggressive. If your tenon/tube fit is sloppy, see below for the bombshell fix-all.

When turning the pen, I rough out the blank with the tailstock in place, and then remove the tailstock for final shaping of the hind-end (I also turn on the highest speed my Delta has, 3700 or something). If you get too aggressive or your mandrel is too long, you will get a lot of chatter. Take light cuts and don't be afraid to whoop out the sandpaper if needed.

I do not use a bushing when turning(I suppose you could "turn" a bushing on the headstock end of your handmade mandrel, but brass/aluminum will quickly wear away and possibly soil your lighter colored wood blanks). I simply have an "open" space at the nib end and use the calipers to get to the right size. Works like a charm.

BTW, the bombshell fix-all is the same thing that fixes pert'near everything in pen making--- CA glue. All you have to do to fix a loose closed-end mandrel is to wipe on a couple of even coats of CA/BLO finish. Hose it with some extra accelerator to make sure it's cured hard, and sand it back down to a snug tube fit. Works like a charm!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

Do you put a dimple in the end where the tail stock goes, or is the rod soft enough so that the tail stock makes it's own?

Dan

Narwhale

redfishsc,
I do the same thing, but with a real dense, dry hardwood instead of brass.or other metals.
I chucked a piece of wood good, then drilled a 1/2" or so hole thru it. Then got a piece of real good dense wood, turned it round with a tenon to fit the drilled hole. Glued the tenon in the wood block, then remounted chuck and turned everything round again.
I cut a tenon to fit the brass tube of the pen and use this to turn the closed end bodies.
Rich S.

aurrida

had the idea of turning a wooden dowel to the inside diameter of a tube then ever 1/4 of an inch cut a seat for rubber o rings to slot into.

they would be slightly proud of the turned dowel so you would need a little force to push on your tubed blank.

also thought of drilling the dowel and then gluing it to an adjustable mandrel shaft, then turn to diameter. one good thing is you could use the end bushing on the mandrel shaft as normal. it could be a cheaper solution for those that do not have any other means of attaching the blank to the lathe.

anybody tried it? would it work?

DKF

Originally posted by aurrida

had the idea of turning a wooden dowel to the inside diameter of a tube then ever 1/4 of an inch cut a seat for rubber o rings to slot into.

they would be slightly proud of the turned dowel so you would need a little force to push on your tubed blank.

I am going to try that one......nice idea!

redfishsc

Originally posted by Dan_F

Do you put a dimple in the end where the tail stock goes, or is the rod soft enough so that the tail stock makes it's own?

Dan

I assume you are referring to when I am making the mandrel tenon---- I don't bother making a dimple b/c I have a cheap, abused, but useable live center I use for this purpose.

Now, when I am roughing out a closed-end pen blank, I do use a good quality live center but no dimple for obvious reasons.

redfishsc

Originally posted by rherrell

I do the same thing using my transfer punch set. Grab one slightly larger than the tube and sand it down.

Fantastic idea. Yet another reason to head to Harbor Freight. (BTW you could use the CA trick to beef up a transfer punch a touch if needed).

Top Bottom