Closed End Mandrel for Perfume Atomiser

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigShed

Just to show that a metal lathe comes in handy not only for pen making, but also for making tools for making pens and other related items.

I was asked a few weeks ago to make a closed end mandrel to make closed end perfume atomisers, as in the attached photo (I did not make that one, nor is it my photo:))

I decided to use the same methodology I use in making standard closed end mandrels, just fatter to fit the bigger perfume atomiser kit tube.

Here is the completed mandrel next to a standard closed end mandrel for a Baron.

IMG_3372.jpg

With the perfume atomiser tube next to it.

IMG_3367.jpg

With the tube mounted on it.

IMG_3378.jpg

Note that the flats on the mandrel and the custom made 2 flat nut were done on my mill, as were the 4 slots. The 4 slots were necessary to spread the pressure evenly inside the tube.

IMG_3369.jpg

The sizing bush is a separate, replaceable, item.

Attachments

• Sample Perfume Atomiser.jpg
    Sample Perfume Atomiser.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice Fred. Making good use of good equipment. Do you use the same mandrel for the cap and base? Thanks again for the photos.

BigShed

Very nice Fred. Making good use of good equipment. Do you use the same mandrel for the cap and base? Thanks again for the photos.

Thanks Chuck, this mandrel was made for the bottom only, but a longer bush could be made to enable the top to be done I guess.

Very nice Fred!

How did you cut the slots? Slitting Saw?

What steel stock (eg 1018,12L14, drill rod) did you use for the piece?

Thanks Randy, I used 12L14. The slits are cut on my mill (RF45 clone) using my 6" Vertex Rotary table for indexing and a 0.5mm slitting saw on a home made arbour. I find the multisize arbours you can buy have too much run-out. That arbour, as well as a few others, was made from some recycled steel picked up at a garage sale.

Might do a thread on tha later to show what can be made from "found" items.

cnirenberg

Fred,
Would an expanding mandrel like this work on a piece without a brass tube? Would slippage be a factor to account for, or am I thinking through this too much?

Top Bottom