Closed End Kitless Yew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KDM

I'm no woodturner. By "lines" are we talking about the straightness of the edges? If so, I'm afraid I cheat.

KDM

Semantics. It's the shiny bit at the end. A finial is a piece of furniture, or an ornament which terminates another (typically) long, thin object. I could have called it a nib and I believe that would have been equally correct, although I tend to associate nibs with fountain pens!

Hope this helps.

RAdams

Banned
It looks like the finish is super sweet, and the whole idea is off the charts, but i personally don't care for the size and shape. You mentioned using 7MM tubes? How thick are the walls of the pen? Were you constrained by the final diameter of the nib? I think a matching brass centerband might help with aestetics (sp). or maybe a longer thinner nib?

And i think technically, A "finial" that is at the bottom of the work would actually be a "foot". Considering most pens have some sort of something on top, it is confusing to call the "nib" a "finial". I don't know that much about the technical verbage for ink pens, these are just my thoughts.

KDM

Really good question, actually. I suppose I should have clarified. This was specifically made for a friend of mine who has arthritis, but wanted a really pretty desk pen. The pen diameter is 15mm, so that's 3mm of wood on the tube!

I totally agree on the centreband, but I didn't see this as much of a challenge compared to making the dangerous end, so I've kept that for another day!!

I'm happy to disagree about "finial." I'll concede that a penturner's definition may differ from that of an architect! (I'm not an architect, BTW.) I just don't see that a rollerball has a "nib."

:)

KDM

D'uh. (15-7)/2=4mm thick wood, not 3.
Any ideas why I can't edit my post? I've done it loads before, but I'm not seeing the edit link.

Edit: Yet, it appeared for THIS posting?

PR_Princess

I believe the new edit time was changed to 60 mins. From what I have been told it can not be set for each forum, so the new time affects all fora.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but in my case it means that I have to be much faster with spell checker!

Last edited:

KDM

From what I have been told it can not be set for each forum, so the new time affects all fora.

OKay, I think you and I are going to get along quite nicely. Who else could be bothered to use the correct plural form of forum? I think you lived here too long!!

PS - hands up all who thought that was a typo?

Jgrden

Very nicely done. I agree with the cigar wrapper. I'd be happy to send you one. But you have inspired me to make one myself. Me thinks out of Zircoti.

Top Bottom