Closed End Jr. Statesman in Amboyna Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it early this morning. Had fun... Comments welcome but most of all thank you for looking!! Have a great Sunday. Doc:)

Attachments

• Amboyna Burl Jr Statesman Fountain Pen.jpg
    Amboyna Burl Jr Statesman Fountain Pen.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 217
  • Amboyna Burl Jr Statesman Fountain Pen_1.jpg
    Amboyna Burl Jr Statesman Fountain Pen_1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Amboyna Burl Jr Statesman Fountain Pen_2.jpg
    Amboyna Burl Jr Statesman Fountain Pen_2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Dang, Doc, I think you hit a new high water mark with the finish on that one. Great pics too. Which closed end method did you use?

wizard

Dang, Doc, I think you hit a new high water mark with the finish on that one. Great pics too. Which closed end method did you use?

James,
I used an Arizona Silhouette Jr. Gentleman Mandrel in a PSI Collet Chuck.
Regards, Doc

PenPal

Physician heal thyself, may I say to you using such a beautiful timber as Amboyna it lives and breathes Dragon Fire with an explosian of colour. I looked at your detail entry where you said you write a lot and your reasons and aims.

That pen is a keeper if ever a pen made like that is falling into the masterclass it has had a profound impact with me. Outstanding grain fit and finish. I am sure the guys who run the site dont need suggestions from me however to enter the Forum and be greeted by a Pic of your pen would seem fitting reward for the effort you have gone to to inspire both yourself and us.

Regards Peter.

ctubbs

I will have to change my name to something including "green eyed" something. I am so jelous! Doc, what a beautiful pen. It is way to beautiful to ever use. Frame it and put it under thick glass. Wow!
Charels

johncrane

Excellent pen and work Doc! your finish does shine if you were wanting try a matt finish, the Blo & Super Fine OOOO Grade Steelwool works well it is applied after your glossy Ca finish, put the blo on the Steelwool and lightly rub the blank length ways.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I make a point of staying up late on a Sunday night because that is when the best pens are shown!! A finish like that should be banned!!!!:biggrin:

wizard

Physician heal thyself, may I say to you using such a beautiful timber as Amboyna it lives and breathes Dragon Fire with an explosian of colour. I looked at your detail entry where you said you write a lot and your reasons and aims.

That pen is a keeper if ever a pen made like that is falling into the masterclass it has had a profound impact with me. Outstanding grain fit and finish. I am sure the guys who run the site dont need suggestions from me however to enter the Forum and be greeted by a Pic of your pen would seem fitting reward for the effort you have gone to to inspire both yourself and us.

Regards Peter.

Peter,
You are correct. It does help me heal. It really helps reduce the stress of my day to day work and my family notices it. I get up at 4:30 AM each A.M. since it is quiet and peaceful. I usually turn a pen usually every other morning and then workout. Since I have not sold a single pen, I now have nearly 200 pens.:rolleyes: I'm definitely not stressed about what I'm going to give people for Christmas.:wink:
Regards,
Doc

jttheclockman

Great looking pen as always. As others have mentioned nice finish. Did you enhance the grain by using blo before CA???? What did you do different with this pen for finish that you have not done in the past being you said you went overboard on the finish??? Thanks for showing.

wizard

Great looking pen as always. As others have mentioned nice finish. Did you enhance the grain by using blo before CA???? What did you do different with this pen for finish that you have not done in the past being you said you went overboard on the finish??? Thanks for showing.

John,
Yep, I did enhance the grain using one swipe with BLO after sanding to 600 grit and getting the wood clean from dust with an alcohol pad. After my usual 6 coats of medium CA and MM (wet) from 1200 to 12000, the pen had some fine but noticeable ripples in the CA finish. So I lightly sanded it back from 150 to 600 grit and cleaned it with an alcohol pad again. I then applied 6 more coats of medium CA and then again MM'd (wet) from 1200 to 12000 and HUT Plastic Polish. By the time it was over, the pen looked like it was under a layer of glass. I've never really done that before and it was definitely not intentional. Regards, Doc

Top Bottom