Closed End Baron with Embelishments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kirkfranks

kirkfranks

Here is my take on a Closed End Baron.
Chrome Baron kit with Liquid Lava AA-48 from Berea/AZ Sil.

The thin black ring in the center-band was missing for this particular kit so I made my own from the blank material.
Since I had gone that far I went one step farther and made changed the end of the cap finial to match as well.

Comments welcome (on the pen not the photography)

200829232327_Closed%20End%20Baron%202-9-08%20s.jpg

0829232411_Closed%20End%20Baron%20Cap%202-9-08%20s.jpg

Thanks to Skiprat for the pin chuck tutorial or I probably would have never gotten around to doing this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

Now that is the way to fix those miner parts problems that pop up every so often. :D You could start a trend. Nice job.

johncrane

Very nice pen Kirk! l love this blank it has been good seller for me, l never had a black ring go missing yet, but l do like too give it the flick now and then just to be different,l also like your closed end shape looks really good nice job :D

Firefyter-emt

Well, I am not sold on the cap jewel, but you rock with that centerband!! It give it the look of a comercial produced pen where the band is inlaid into the cap itself. Sweet job!

Would you go into detail about just how you kept it togather? That is one thin piece of plastic to not explode.

kirkfranks

Lee,
Detail on the centerband ring. Mostly I was sweating real bad to not mess it up.
I put a small piece of the blank in my scroll chuck and turned round. Drill out on the lathe with closest bit ( I think it was letter U bit) which was just under size to fit on the metal part of the centerband. Enlarged the hole with a HF punch wrapped with sandpaper to sneak up on a snug fit.
The next step is where the sweating started. Bring down to final diamater with the diamond parting tool but about 3x the width of what I wanted to keep so I would have enough room to get the parting tool in. Sand and buff on the lathe per normal.
Now taking veeeeerrrryyyy light cuts I parted off the little ring.

Similar method for the end cap just using the scroll chuck.

I would think your metal lathe would make something like that easy[?]

jtate

Kirk,

I do like it.

I'm wondering if the centerband embellishment might have been more easily made by attaching a slice of the material to a waste block on a face plate, flattening it with sandpaper, cutting the interior hole and the exterior diameter with a detail tool and then removing the ring from the waste block - with the aid of a hair dryer to loosen the hot-glue if needed.

I'm doing more and more with hot glue and faceplate turning. I really like it! There's so much more supportfor the material being cut.

Top Bottom