Close IAP wood chart and remove the forum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Close IAP wood chart and remove the forum.

• yes

Votes: 42 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • leave it, and I try to add on to it.

Votes: 37 35.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

phillywood

Phillip, what you are doing is building a reference to hundreds of woods and such. Collecting all these references takes time. All I can say is thank you and other IAP members that contributed to this reference chart. Don't give up, it's not like this is the only thing on your mind, so don't sweat it. Rome was not built in a day.
Joe, thank you for your kind wish. I am off to making my own pens, if any one likes the idea and think it's worth it they can ask Jeff to find new replacement for me like we have had recently.
Dean, seemed to try to work out the Template, maybe he will find an answer soon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

Not to my knowledge, I think Phil is still hoping someone will help show him how. Or at least show me how and I will put the chart in!:)

It's also in the wiki ... Just need to start putting info into it...
Is there a wiki template for entries yet?

I'm working on playing with it to make it wiki friendly.

I'm also leading a viva LeWiki charge right now and talking with Randy..
I've got some ideas cooking in my head where I think the wiki can be streamlined, organized and easy to use for everyone.

Rich, I am wondering we got you, Dean, Randy and so many others that are after this Wiki thing and trying to make it work. Deasn't that tell you that maybe the Wiki itslef is still young and needs alots of work and such an idea is not ready to go there yet. We can leave this alone for awhile and let everyone live their normal life and have the things go back to way they were before Phillip was here. Then you all can develop the Wiki better and make it more consumer freindly, and by then if I am around and kicking then we take it up again.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Well, I have to put up with members bickering in the background and I can't even ask my own qsn. in penturning forum if it involves some wood for my own info. because in the past when I did it Curtis thought that it was related to wood chart, so it got deleted.

That's funny, Philip. I went back and looked at every thread you have ever started here on IAP. You, sir, are stating mis-truths regarding me deleting your posts here on IAP. I just so happen to have at my disposal, the ability to go back and READ every single thread that is deleted since nothing is permanently deleted. Here is what I found:

100 thread started
4 TOTAL threads deleted
Of those 4:

• 1 was the thread asking for pen kits that turned nasty and was deleted.
  • 1 was a thread where you called out a member and the thread turned nasty with some of the replies you and others posted and was deleted.
  • 1 was deleted by Dean just a couple of days ago because it was a duplicate of this thread here
  • And finally, the thread you started with the title "Honeycomb Hickory" was deleted because it was asking for info for the wood chart and was posted in the regular penturning forum AFTER the sub-forum was created. Here is the content of that opening message in case you forgot what you wrote:
will need inf. for this blank, please.
Follow this thread or input here, please.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67356
That link takes you directly to the input form for the wood chart.

Phillip, I have no problem with you wood chart project. I do, however, have a REAL problem when you tell me I can not delete a thread of yours, then go on and claim that I deleted another thread of your either accidentally or maliciously. Believe it or not, I READ every single post of every thread before I make the decision to delete. I do not just go delete just for the heck of it.

kinggabby

Close IAP wood chart and remove the forum.
Folks I need your vote to ask Jeff to close the wood chart and remove the forum, since giving it a seperate forum caused no visit or contribution to the chart. It became another additional forum that would take space on your screen. I would apprecaite your feed back.

I think it is funny that you ask for feed back and when it is given you personally quote most if not all who gave feed back and attack them for responding. I did not post on the wood info sheets because I for one am still considered a newbie to this. and 98% of the info you were requesting I did not know the answers to. So yes this is true that I did not contribute . But for you to respond to people for their honesty the why you have is uncalled for.

witz1976

I too think it was being pushed too far. It seemed that every time someone posted something new and unique there was a post asking to fill out the form to add it.
I personally would rather try it myself, screw up and learn how to turn. Sure some tutorials are good, but we do not need it for everything.

Also, and this is just me, but that took some big brass ones to tell a moderator he cannot do his job. This is why I am getting a little tired of this group. People not respecting other people.

Dan if you like to practice what you wrote above, then it makes me wonder why are you on the IAP exactly, you seem to do everything on your own? then You don't need IAP's help.
I don't think that anyone on IAP is twisting your arm to like this Group if you think that we don't respect each other. you seem to have lots of growing up to do, buddy.

Thank you for proving my point, buddy.

Also I am not suggesting that I do not need help, rather I like to try it first on my own THEN seek help if I need it. Because I like to learn, not follow directions.

Last edited:

Sylvanite

...maybe the Wiki itslef is still young and needs alots of work and such an idea is not ready to go there yet.
Yes, the wiki is young and needs work. Unfortunately, if we wait for it to mature before adding any content, then it never will.

Then you all can develop the Wiki better and make it more consumer freindly...
This is a valid point. I spent two evenings figuring out how to add a page to the wiki (in preparation for adding wood info pages). The process was not intuitive. In fact, it was very frustrating at times. It is also unclear how to find information in the wiki. These problems need to be addressed.

This project seems like a natural fit for the wiki, and a really good opportunity to grow it into a useful part of the IAP. I'm willing to post wood info (time permitting), but would much rather do it in wiki form than forums/spreadsheet.

Regards,
Eric

alphageek

Former Moderator
It's also in the wiki ... Just need to start putting info into it... http://www.penturners.org/wiki/Raw_Materials

The wiki is still a great idea ... Just need to get enough info to be used more in there...

Dean, You put this link on the post , I wonder did you click on it to see wher it takes you some of those names don't even have links. and the info.s are the same things that you can find in better details from other sources.

Yes, thats true... But the joy of the wiki is that if there is something missing or a new page is needed, you can edit that page that I posted.. change or add the new text and link to a new page. Then create the new page. There is no limit to the number of pages that can be created in there.

Jon-wx5nco

I don't know if you know but every time you post on that forum it shows up when someone clicks new post. So it is being seen. Some times people can't remember a specific wood or non- wood they have worked with. Some people have made hundreds of pens ( I know if I have made that many I could not remember them all )

I need to agree with kinggabby. When I see something on the home page, I look at the post. I don't think I ever go into the forum, unless its to look at the OKLAHOMA thread.
I am in the process of saving ALL library material to my HD and to a USB drive just incase, if for some unknown reason, we wake up in the morning and the IAP site is gone. Phill, your chart is something that will be saved. Us deleting that thread and getting rid of the chart would be like getting rid of the perodic table - or - the dictionary. My experience level is still extreemly low, but I will do my best to put my $Ø.Ø2 worth in
Jon

capcrnch

Rich, I am wondering we got you, Dean, Randy and so many others that are after this Wiki thing and trying to make it work. Deasn't that tell you that maybe the Wiki itslef is still young and needs alots of work and such an idea is not ready to go there yet. We can leave this alone for awhile and let everyone live their normal life and have the things go back to way they were before Phillip was here. Then you all can develop the Wiki better and make it more consumer freindly, and by then if I am around and kicking then we take it up again.

IMO, the wiki can be an incredibly powerful tool. And I make that comment based on personal experience.
It's not that the wiki is young, it's that in its current state, it's absolutely unpractical and just needs a kick in the butt and some organization. Wiki's have been around for years and they've been incredibly successful. Once the IAP wiki has the pattern established and content added in a manner where people can add, read, explore and learn from it, it will be tremendous.
Keep in mind, I'm not trying to build the wiki around the wood chart, i'm just trying to use that as a major piece of the puzzle, (along with other major pieces).

You keep saying how the wood chart is for the people.. Well, you gave everyone a taste, badgered people to add, pushed it and pushed it.. And now you want to take it away and forget about it?
That's not fair to yourself, or any of the members here.

JeremyJ

Ditto Landon, don't blow things out or proportion, its been completed, its on the site. If people use it great; its another great reference, but keep in mind thats what it is a reference not a novel on Oprah's top ten list.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Thank you, Phillip, for making it clear that you're resigning from the project. I had to read a billion replies to each individual poster, but I finally found that nugget of information in there. :)

Phillip, you've only been on the IAP since May, so if you stick around for a while, you'll find that things usually run pretty smoothly around here. We're generally not fans of rocking the boat, so to speak, and your methods for trying to finish the never-ending chart quickly were a touch overbearing. I think if you give the Wiki a chance, you'll find that it will be the perfect place for the information you've gathered.

Thanks for the effort, Philly. We'll use your information and give it a place in the Wiki, where it deservedly belongs. The Wiki, contrary to popular opinion on here, is not impossible to learn. I'd suggest clicking on it, going to a random page (you can even click 'random page'), and seeing if you have any information to add!

I, for one, am glad to see that this thread has run its course. If the project is finished, as Philly has indicated, let's focus on making an effort to edit the Wiki! :)

PTownSubbie

Thank you, Phillip, for making it clear that you're resigning from the project. I had to read a billion replies to each individual poster, but I finally found that nugget of information in there. :)

Phillip, you've only been on the IAP since May, so if you stick around for a while, you'll find that things usually run pretty smoothly around here. We're generally not fans of rocking the boat, so to speak, and your methods for trying to finish the never-ending chart quickly were a touch overbearing. I think if you give the Wiki a chance, you'll find that it will be the perfect place for the information you've gathered.

Thanks for the effort, Philly. We'll use your information and give it a place in the Wiki, where it deservedly belongs. The Wiki, contrary to popular opinion on here, is not impossible to learn. I'd suggest clicking on it, going to a random page (you can even click 'random page'), and seeing if you have any information to add!

I, for one, am glad to see that this thread has run its course. If the project is finished, as Philly has indicated, let's focus on making an effort to edit the Wiki! :)

Andrew,

Nice synopsis post.

rjwolfe3

I am going to refrain further from getting involved in this thread because I really am trying to be a better poster. I will say that I am really surprised by some of the people's attitudes (this is directed at people other then Phil) on this thread and I will leave it at that.

Phil, I will gladly take your project up if you would like. I think it is a valuable contribution.

phillywood

Andrew,
I am not resigning of the project. I am just going to lay off it for a while and stop making enemies to those who seem to have a problem with it and think this is being shoved down their throat. I will not put any new threads asking for any info. on any woods. Those threads are making me look bad and annoyance, which I don't want to be.
In addition, members throats will get a break from it all too. I'll wait until the members who are more savvy in comp. can fix the Wiki or make it more user friendly then I'll pick up where I left off. and, transfer the info. into the wiki. then we go from there.
Right now this is how the process works:
I create a thread and ask for a name of a wood that chart needs the info for by typing some sentences asking that, then I include a template of each corresponding material which was created in MS word. the respondent then has to click on the template and download it to his comp. open it and fill out the proper columns. then save the file and then create a reply post and then go to advance feature and upload that newly filled out file into the post and onto the IAP. I then receive it then have to open the file and correct the fonts and some other things and add the proper signs to the statements and then transfer that to the chart put it under the new alphabetical listing and put the info in the proper place. so this takes some time. and the chart file itself has grown and now needs purchasing of a new program for me to zip the file and send it to Jeff so he can upload it to the IAP server for the other members to see.

Ok, I don't mind doing this, but the bickering and all the other stuff taking up my time too, then I noticed that I have to ask the members if they want to add their info which they entered under the SOYP to the chart. When you send out PMs and get no response then that tells you something is wrong. So, before this gets further out of hands I stop it while I got my respect and asked that ONLY the forum to be closed so there are no new posts. And the Current chart transferred to the Library and left there. When Wiki creator can iron out the problems with it that it is easier to navigate and enter new info. then we will go back and start adding to the chart as if any one wishes to do so and there would be no more shoving.
All that said, i am not a quitter and won't become someone who you guys said that gave up on this project. furthermore won't make an AZZ out of myself. If some one wants to do all that I just described by all means let me know and I will send you the file and you take it from there.
But, when it goes into the WiKi, then there would be no finger pointing anymore.

"I, for one, am glad to see that this thread has run its course. If the project is finished, as Philly has indicated, let's focus on making an effort to edit the Wiki"
Andrew, I have no idea where you got this idea from. I didn't say the project was finished, neither wanted it to finish and will never finish. I am just trying to keep the quibble to its minimum.

Thank you all for your interest and comments, maybe that we can cap this off and every one can go back to before May when a nutcase like me came around and changed the "generally not fans of rocking the boat, so to speak, and your methods for trying to finish the never-ending chart quickly were a touch overbearing"
Now life would be better on IAP.

ROOKIETURNER

I have a headache from reading this thread. You would think it was a therapy session, with people laying on the couch complaining that their mommy didn't hug them enough.

Philly, all I can say is that you did post that you were done and walking away, not that you were just taking a break. My opinion is that you are taking this thing way too personal. I will leave it at that...yea right.

To find something on wiki, all one needs to do is use the search tool. Once the information is populated it will be awesome. I have little to nothing to contribute to the information. I have only been turning for about a year. I also believe that there are only a few that can really contribute good solid information to the chart, and asking them to stop their lives and live up to your expectation is unrealistic and unfair.

I have also been unfair to the MODS...well at the time there was only one...sorry again Curtis! So I am speaking from experience, try not to tick them off, try not to insult their intelligence and I would think again before getting your facts mixed up so bad. Seems Curtis has you by the, ahem...., facts.

IMO you should apologize to Curtis for accusing him of wrong doing. You should lay off the chart for awhile and let things settle. And try to keep your posts down in size. I get half way through a long post and fall asleep, lose my train of thought or begin to think about what I am going to eat for breakfast tomorrow.

That and $1.00 will get you two apples pies at McDonald's.

Rob

phillywood

I have a headache from reading this thread. You would think it was a therapy session, with people laying on the couch complaining that their mommy didn't hug them enough.

Philly, all I can say is that you did post that you were done and walking away, not that you were just taking a break. My opinion is that you are taking this thing way too personal. I will leave it at that...yea right.

To find something on wiki, all one needs to do is use the search tool. Once the information is populated it will be awesome. I have little to nothing to contribute to the information. I have only been turning for about a year. I also believe that there are only a few that can really contribute good solid information to the chart, and asking them to stop their lives and live up to your expectation is unrealistic and unfair.

I have also been unfair to the MODS...well at the time there was only one...sorry again Curtis! So I am speaking from experience, try not to tick them off, try not to insult their intelligence and I would think again before getting your facts mixed up so bad. Seems Curtis has you by the, ahem...., facts.

IMO you should apologize to Curtis for accusing him of wrong doing. You should lay off the chart for awhile and let things settle. And try to keep your posts down in size. I get half way through a long post and fall asleep, lose my train of thought or begin to think about what I am going to eat for breakfast tomorrow.

That and $1.00 will get you two apples pies at McDonald's.

Rob
Rob, Thanks for the laugh man I needed it. I was just trying to spare everyone from all this. didn't mena to get you hungry. It was a session. :biggrin::eek:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Phillywood,
I think you are a tad impatient at times.
For me, as an example, I've been aware of the new set up anf forum for the woods and alternatives chart and work there. I've only had time to briefly click on the link on the home page and follow it to the forum. I am looking forward to the day I will have some time to go through it all and make some positive contribution. And I am grateful for Jeff setting it u[ in it's own forum.

The fact that its been there barely a few weeks and "no one's been there" doesn't necessarily reflect on whether the change is good or bad. It does say that many IAP members are kind of swamped with other things.

With the flooding on the east coast, the horrendous heat on the pacific coast, school starting, turners preparing for holiday orders and all, give it some time.

capcrnch

Phil, just to throw this up as an idea
Rather than creating a new post each time you need a wood entry for the chart, create one thread and list all the species you're missing in the first post.
Then you can continually edit that first post as entries are made, or new species are thought of.

snyiper

Rich I think that is a excellent idea. We can fill it out as we do these woods who knows someone may see the list and say Hey Ill try that one.

rjwolfe3

I f you'll remember that is how Phil started and it got really long really fast. So he went with the individual posts.:)

Rather than creating a new post each time you need a wood entry for the chart, create one thread and list all the species you're missing in the first post.
Then you can continually edit that first post as entries are made, or new species are thought of.

Rich I think that is a excellent idea. We can fill it out as we do these woods who knows someone may see the list and say Hey Ill try that one.

phillywood

Your answer is here:http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67224

I did, but the thread got pushed to page 2 depending on your individual setting on your comp. I may have to ask Curtis to put it as a sticky so it would be on the first post on the sub forum so it won't get pushed to the bottom.
On the other hands, some members sent their chart input to me in an email so you guys will have to see what's the last update date on the post I already tried to do that.

I see what I can do. I am limited as what I can do just like any other members, I can not even upload the update to the IAP I have to do it through Jeff, and now the file is too big. I made some new changes that made it even better to navigate through the info. but now it's about 23MB. We have to figure out a way that you guys can can enter on your own then some one who manges the chart will check it at the end of the day to keep every entry consistent. We have to see. but, over all if we can make it that you guys can enter when you want to then you won't see my threads asking for info. input.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Your answer is here:http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67224

I did, but the thread got pushed to page 2 depending on your individual setting on your comp. I may have to ask Curtis to put it as a sticky so it would be on the first post on the sub forum so it won't get pushed to the bottom.
On the other hands, some members sent their chart input to me in an email so you guys will have to see what's the last update date on the post I already tried to do that.

I see what I can do. I am limited as what I can do just like any other members, I can not even upload the update to the IAP I have to do it through Jeff, and now the file is too big. I made some new changes that made it even better to navigate through the info. but now it's about 23MB. We have to figure out a way that you guys can can enter on your own then some one who manges the chart will check it at the end of the day to keep every entry consistent. We have to see. but, over all if we can make it that you guys can enter when you want to then you won't see my threads asking for info. input.

I temporarily made this sticky so it could be found easier. It made sense, to me... but I need to pass it past Curtis and/or Jeff to see if it makes sense to stay there. If they agree that it makes sense, then it will stay.. otherwise it will have to come back off as I'm still new at this.

Dean

DurocShark

I didn't vote in the poll. I won't be voting in the poll. I don't care about the poll. In fact, I stopped reading at page 4.

Sorry, Phil, but it seems like I've seen many of these threads over the past few months and they're kind of a turn off.

I cheer what you've accomplished. I sense that you are way more emotional about this than I would be or am comfortable with. My advice would be to cool off. Instead of calling out the mods, or berating folks for having opinions contrary to yours, you could really gain traction by refining the presentation of the information. The wiki is an excellent idea (I'm a fan of wikis, having admin'd many over the years). The basic interface of the wiki is only the plating on the nib. There are many more things that can be accomplished if you take the time to learn.

Judging by your tenacity so far, I believe you could really take the materials index to amazing levels.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I temporarily made this sticky so it could be found easier. It made sense, to me... but I need to pass it past Curtis and/or Jeff to see if it makes sense to stay there. If they agree that it makes sense, then it will stay.. otherwise it will have to come back off as I'm still new at this.

Dean

Good job, Dean!

phillywood

Thank you Curtis.
BTW, last night I tried playing in the Wiki and i clicked on help template and for the sake of trying I cut and pasted the chart template and I manged to save it and WIKI took the info and saved it. Now, Can't figure out where it went and how to tell others to find it and use it to input info.
any suggestions?

Top Bottom