Clip-Only Slim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Joe S.

Joe S.

This isn't really showing off, as much as it is just showing you. I like the design opportunities with all wood pens like this open up, once I get the process down. The nib end is Ebony, and the cap is curly Maple. The issues I see are:

The hole for the refill is way too big. (But you can't see that from the picture)

The curve by the nib could be pulled further back.

The finial needs tweeking.

The finish is experimental, I'm not sure what it will do after a good amount of use.

The clip could look a little more hidden, the seam is plain as day.

The burn lines got a little gunky, I think I'm going to start filling them in from now on.

DSC_0881.JPG

I'll carry it around and see what happens, these things are pretty cheap to make, so I'll probably end up with a few of them.

C&C is always helpful! Especially when working through new methods!

Janster

Looks OK. You may consider making the finial match the lower section, eliminating the "line' junction. On the upper, mill or drill out to whatever depth you need to plant the clip into, leaving a slot for it (the clip) to appear out and onto the body upper. As far as the "burned in lines" you might do some segmentation w/Ebony or black plastic and you will then have clean lines. Keep thinkin' about and it will happen! Be well.........Jan

Joe S.

I did recess the clip. I like the finial idea, eventually I want to match the grain and have an almost invisible seam, but that could end up really nice! maybe I'll use some Ebonite instead of Ebony. Good idea with the segmenting too.

Top Bottom