Clear cast turned cloudy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTownSubbie

I have been experimenting with casting and finally got around to turning one of the castings that my wife has done. It is a clear cast with some acrylic shavings in it from some other turnings.

We did the normal cast. Allowed it to dry for what seemed forever. It sat for well over a week. It didn't need that long, I just didn't have time to do anything with it. It didn't have any signs of air bubble in it. I squared it up and drilled the holes for the brass. Used Thick CA to glue the brass in the blank. Squared the faces of the blank with a pen mill and sander and then turned it.

After I finished I noticed that the blank was cloudy in a couple of areas. What do you think caused it?

BTW, it was with Casting Craft from Michaels. It was one of my first castings and have since turned a few from Silmar 40 and they turn much nicer.....

Attachments

• IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 353
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sekach

Fred, I have used the same PR materials from Michaels and have had some of the same issues. So far I can only narrow it down to excessive heat while sanding. I had a tendancy to get a little aggresive and did not wet sand. After going through a few of my clear blanks this way I switched over to wet sanding and the cloudy areas have been reduced, not totally eliminated though. So there is still something I am not doing quite right or am still coming across some heat maybe while turning (which is a possibility as well). Just my two cents worth....

Bob

PTownSubbie

Bob,

I always wetsand anything that is not wood. I try to keep the heat to a minimum but can't always do that of course.

I had something cross my mind last night after my post.....Could it be an area of the tube that does not have any CA glue on it and I am seeing the dust from drilling? I don't clean out the inside of the hole after it is drilled. Does anyone?

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I think I can see the tube through the blank. Which means it could be the glue, not the PR, that has gone cloudy. Hard to tell from the picture. If you look through the blank across the top of the tube (not down at the tube, but across it at a tangent) is the PR clear or cloudy?

Heat can cause cloudiness; tool chatter (even at the microscopic level) can cause cloudiness. Make sure your tools are very very sharp and you aren't being too aggressive.

GK

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Is the resin cloudy? Or did you not polish the INSIDE of the hole??

I suspect you are seeing the drill marks, that were not polished out on the inside of the hole. Glue will fill SOME and make them disappear, but this is NOT a reliable way to get a clear view.

PTownSubbie

Is the resin cloudy? Or did you not polish the INSIDE of the hole??

I suspect you are seeing the drill marks, that were not polished out on the inside of the hole. Glue will fill SOME and make them disappear, but this is NOT a reliable way to get a clear view.

Not knowing any better, do you have to polish the inside of the blank after you drill it? How do you polish it?

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Not knowing any better, do you have to polish the inside of the blank after you drill it? How do you polish it?

Only if you are trying for a clear blank. In this case the blank is clear so you can see the tube. But this also means that it is clear so you can see bad glue, bad drilling, scratches in the tube (you did rough it up so the glue sticks, right?), etc.

When I did my clear blank I sprayed the inside of the tube with pearlescent paint followed by gold paint. Now you have the clear blank showing off all the depth of what you cast but you can't see into the hole to see the tube, etc.

1__MG_0297.jpg

GK

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That would also make it no longer a "demonstrator" pen.

Not bad or good, just changes the type.
I like your look, Greg!!

DozerMite

Banned
The best way to eliminate the problem is to cast the tube. No drilling to mark up the blank, no heat while drilling, and no glue to worry about.
The tube can be painted before casting it as well.
Just my $.02

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The best way to eliminate the problem is to cast the tube. No drilling to mark up the blank, no heat while drilling, and no glue to worry about.
The tube can be painted before casting it as well.
Just my $.02

ABSOLUTELY correct, THAT problem goes away and about 20 new ones take its' place!!! (Depending on WHAT is on the tube).

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Looking at THIS pen, it isn't a demonstrator. I agree that the thread you posted earlier would make zero sense to paint the hole. But for THIS pen....

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Please elaborate Ed. I've never had any problems with that method.

The problems occur if you add something to the tube, like a snakeskin for example. I would also think if you paint the tubes, you want to wait quite a while for them to cure before casting. If you powder coat, a different set of issues could emerge.

Don't know everything, just know what problems WE have encountered. Some remain unsolved.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Looking at THIS pen, it isn't a demonstrator. I agree that the thread you posted earlier would make zero sense to paint the hole. But for THIS pen....

Greg, I was not trying to be argumentative, just warning that a search for "demonstrator" which I had suggested would not turn up YOUR solution, which is also a good solution.

DozerMite

Banned
Yes Ed, I know the problems that can arise with skins and that sort of addition to the tube. I didn't mention anything about that stuff because he isn't doing that kind of blank. Good point though.
I thought maybe you meant something like fingerprints or something.

With the paint, I've sprayed them and cast them later the same day. Probably a good idea to wait a day though. I've also cast over CA without any problems.

PTownSubbie

Thanks for all the input. This pen was really just a prototype to see what the casting looked like. I think in the future I will either paint the inner portion of the drilled hole or cast the tube in the acrylic.

I have a couple of fairly transparent blanks that we cast. How do you guys apply the paint to the inside of the tubes?

I was thinking Q-tips or something along those lines. Any better ideas?

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I was thinking Q-tips or something along those lines. Any better ideas?

depends on whether you have spray paint or tube paint. For spray paint I just shoot through the hole and let the excess drip out. :biggrin: For tube/can paint, a couple of coats with a q-tip works fine but you need a couple of coats.

GK

Smokey7385

My first thought was that you used accelerant on the CA. This can sometimes cause some bubbling which comes out as a cloudy white mess.

PTownSubbie

I didn't use any CA accelerator and the brass was glued into the hole after the cast had hardened.

I really think, based on the feedback that I have read, that this was caused by not cleaning out the drilled hole in the blank before I glued the tube into the hole.

elody21

Try and use some thing else as all the pens that I use CA with went cloudy.
David
What should you use?
I have had clouding happen without using CA glue at all. I thought clouding was from the resin pulling away from the substance on the tube. I am not argueing I am just trying to understand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom