cleaning turned blank help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hotwire55

I turned a pen blank out of Cocobolo this afternoon and applied 10 coats of thin CA. I noticed that I didn't get all of the dust out of the grain. Nice CA finish, but now I can really see the flaws. Do you guys have any tips other than blowing off with compressed air & cleaning with denatured alcohol? I tried everything and I'm discovering that Cocobolo is giving me this problem. Is that because it's porous or because of the dark color of the wood? While I'm asking, are some woods less prone to having this porosity? I'm about ready to move on to a different species of wood. Thanks in advance! ----Bobby Moyers----

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Cocobolo is bad for this due to the porous nature of the wood and the oilyness of the wood. I generally used compressed air and blow out the dust after every grit of sand paper. 150 grit then blow it out with compressed air, 220 grit and then blow it out with compressed air, 300 grit and blow it out...you get the idea. If you do all your grits of sanding without blowing the dust out in between and then try to blow it out the sanding dust has become much more compacted in the pores and doesn't come out as easy. Then just before I'm about ready to put the CA finshi on I'll wipe it with accelerator and do my CA finish as normal. It works from me. You might give it a try.

Last edited:

D.Oliver

While I'm asking, are some woods less prone to having this porosity? I'm about ready to move on to a different species of wood.

Some woods are worse than others. I've found that cocobolo, oak, padauk are some of the ones I pay close attention too. Some woods such as African Blackwood and walnut have a tight grain stucture and I've never had problems with dust getting trapped in them.

hotwire55

Thanks Derek,

I also noticed that my 10 coats of thin CA aren't actually filling all of the pores. I will try your method of sanding, cleaning & prep,and maybe add a couple applications of medium CA to fill the pores. Appreciate It!---Bobby Moyers---

hotwire55

I have definitely experienced that with Red Oak & White Oak,because I used some to make taxidermy plaques. Thanks for the comments! Bobby Moyers--

hotwire55

I've noticed that all CA's will dry quicker, when they're the first or second coat. Will give that a try. Thanks Dale! ----Bobby Moyers-----

I used to use denatured alcohol do clean before I used CA this helped a lot. Now that I don't use CA anymore I don't seem to have as much problem with it! I applied the alcohol with the lathe spinning and just worked it across the same way you apply any other liquid. It will evaporate and it also helps with the oiliness of Cocobolo or at least I thought it did!

hotwire55

I have a Cocobolo blank finished with 7 coats of the thin CA that I plan to use on a chrome Virage! I will get it on here, when it's completed. All comments are always appreciated! By the way, I ordered a couple of 8" flannels and two different types of buffing compound from Caswell. Should be here this week. Thanks Mike! -Bobby Moyers_

hotwire55

I have found that if air, and denatured alcohol doesn't work I will use an old tooth brush to loosen up the dust and then the air, or alcohol.

I have a small toothbrush laying by the lathe, but forgot to use it. I have used it before, and it does help. Thanks Rich! --Bobby Moyers--

shull

Before you start sanding, clean with Alcohol and then apply a couple coats of sanding sealer. I also clean with DA between grits and apply additional sanding sealer at about the 320 grit level. I then seal with thin CA after 600 grit then finish with 4-6 coats of medium CA with BLO. I have been turning a lot of Red Oak and Cocobolo lately and this is the only way I have been able to come close to handling the problem.

hotwire55

That sounds like a good idea too, but never thought about doing it that way. What do you use for a sealer? Thanks Steve! --Bobby Moyer--

JohnLifer

Boy I know it is kind of sacrilege around here, but I LOVE the feel of cocobolo and at most I put on a wax finish. Yeah, it doesn't hold up, but CA is just such a plastic feel and that nice oily coco is soo nice to handle plain..... Just my take on things.
John

hotwire55

I'm certain all you turners probably have your ideas on the best type of finish for a particular wood. I thought I would start out trying to learn how to do a CA finish. I have one more 5" Cocobolo blank and then I'm going to try some different species. Appreciate your comments! -Bobby Moyers-

Lenny

I am going to try the sealer before I begins sanding. It seems to be a great idea. Thanks Lenny! --Bobby Moyers

Not sure if you misunderstood or not but to clarify .... AFTER sanding I use the accelerator to clean the blank prior to applying the CA finish.

hotwire55

Sorry Lenny, Do you have a preference for brand and do you just spray it on & wipe it off? A big question I know, but I have never used accelerator. Thanks! Bobby Moyers

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm a little confused that folks turn wood and then go to such great lengths to make it look like it isn't wood???? I've turned cocobolo and never noticed any problems - maybe it's good to have old eyes:biggrin: but then I don't use CA other than using chips to fill a void or fix a mistake.

Wingdoctor

Smitty, I hear what you say but, some of us think that a high gloss finish brings out the beauty in a piece of wood. I know you have seen a high quality guitar or violin and the finish makes the grain and color just jump out at you. I have never seen a guitar or violin with a dull oil finish, or without any finish at all. A fellow near me makes custom guitars and his nitro cellulose lacquer finish is outstanding. He takes many hours of spraying, buffing and waxing to get that high gloss finish.

We all have out preferences, and we are all entitled to like what we like. :):beauty::smile-big::rolleyes::biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty, I hear what you say but, some of us think that a high gloss finish brings out the beauty in a piece of wood. I know you have seen a high quality guitar or violin and the finish makes the grain and color just jump out at you. I have never seen a guitar or violin with a dull oil finish, or without any finish at all. A fellow near me makes custom guitars and his nitro cellulose lacquer finish is outstanding. He takes many hours of spraying, buffing and waxing to get that high gloss finish.

We all have out preferences, and we are all entitled to like what we like. :):beauty::smile-big::rolleyes::biggrin:
Didn't say you weren't entitled to like it, I said I don't understand it. There are obviously a lot of folks who like it.:)

Top Bottom