Cleaning / removing ca

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I keep a mason jar of acetone next to my bushing container, when I am done with them they get a bath before they go back into their bag. Also..why is there CA on the lathe bed...place a paper towel or shop rag on the bed before doing any CA. ounce or prevention..........

Dan Masshardt

I keep a mason jar of acetone next to my bushing container, when I am done with them they get a bath before they go back into their bag. Also..why is there CA on the lathe bed...place a paper towel or shop rag on the bed before doing any CA. ounce or prevention..........

Thanks guys. There is not normally ca on the lathe. I cut a piece of 1/4" plywood to fit across.

But...I accidentally put a ca cap on the other end of the ways the other day and it left a little but behind.

Thanks guys. There is not normally ca on the lathe. I cut a piece of 1/4" plywood to fit across.

But...I accidentally put a ca cap on the other end of the ways the other day and it left a little but behind.

Well that happens to me all the time, on the ways, on the counter, in my pocket, on my fingers...you name it and I think I have stuck a cap to it.

Scruffy

Ditto..

I must be the most uncoordinated turner here.

It seems no matter how careful I am with CA, from time to time I end up with CA in the some of the strangest places.

So I just make sure acetone, paper towels, wax paper, etc., .... are in close proximity. (To help clean up some of my mistakes)

jttheclockman

If it is on the lathe I would scrape it off with a knife and then hit with some steel wool if need be. Lots of times it will just pop off. Remember acetone will take paint off too.

Have so much CA...

Think I could use a small jackhammer to remove it from my tool rest holder.

Come to think of it a smart remark like that may have a grain of truth to it.

Soak it well with acetone, then scrape off with a putty knife. If that don't work perhaps a scraper blade in the multi max tool. It's thick and nasty looking. As a last resort I could stick a scraper blade in the reciprocating saw and have at it. A little paint and it ought to look good again.

Charlie

ve3bax

check your bathroom for nail polish remover before heading out to buy acetone ;) its acetone anyway, and odds are you probably will find some under the sink...

--Dave

jimofsanston

check your bathroom for nail polish remover before heading out to buy acetone ;) its acetone anyway, and odds are you probably will find some under the sink...

--Dave
Yeah and when the wife goes looking for the nail polish remover and is out. She is going to yell out your name and you better get a head start.
:biggrin:

Dan Masshardt

Yeah and when the wife goes looking for the nail polish remover and is out. She is going to yell out your name and you better get a head start.
:biggrin:

I picked some up today.

Then I read Dave's comment and thought I could have saved some money.

Then I had the same thought you did and am still glad I picked some up.

I would have left it in the shop / used it all up and my wife would have been mad at me.

JH Customs

I have found that "ped-eggs," those egg looking things to scrape the bottoms of your feet to remove dry skin work incredible for getting dried ca off of you hands and fingers.

Alzey

Acetone also works great removing powder coat. When ever I have a shell casing that didn't turn out right, just drop it in a mason jar of acetone for a few days.

ossaguy

I have read where they did a test of all of the "Liquid Wrench" -type penetrating oils,and the winner was homemade.....50/50 acetone and ATF.

I still have to try that down at my job as a small engine mechanic.I was thinking on getting a Sure Shot sprayer.That is the sprayer-cans that you can put in your homebrew,and fill it with air so it's like a spay can.

Steve

jttheclockman

As mentioned many many times on this forum, good for wiping down oily woods. Just remember gets absorbed in skin very easily. :)

Alzey

As mentioned many many times on this forum, good for wiping down oily woods. Just remember gets absorbed in skin very easily. :)

A friend of mine got the "I think your an alcoholic" talk from his doctor. Turned out to be absorbed isopropyl alcohol though the skin at his car detail business. Wear them gloves and lets be safe out there.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
When I empty a bottle of ca, I keep the tip. I like many others, once I open a bottle of ca, never put the cap back on it. It's unnecessary. I have a collection of tips. When one gets plugged up, I take it off, toss it in a small can of acetone and put a clean one on the bottle. That beats running a needle "almost" down the hole, but in reality through your finger holding the tip. and DAMHIKT. After a few bottles of ca, you should have enough tips to "rotate" for a life time.

Top Bottom