Classic Ebonite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from drgoretex

drgoretex

Hello all,

Here is my latest, finished yesterday. Not a custom order, just felt like doing it :p

This a pretty big pen done up in Cumberland Ebonite. Smelly to turn, and expensive material, but sure makes a nice pen. The special work on this one was to set up the screw-on finial so that the grain of the material stayed lined up. Tricky...

IMG_6424.jpg

IMG_6417.jpg

IMG_6432.jpg

IMG_6436.jpg

IMG_6445.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert111

Uh-oh! Got another case of pen envy! Seriously, that is one beautiful pen. I really love the virtually seamless threaded-on finial. Yes, that Ebonite is gorgeous stuff.

firewhatfire

that is some pretty stuff.

I attempted some ebonite today and am seriously considering giving up on kitless. That stuff is fouls smelling. I will put my stuff back in the box and wait a another couple of weeks and try again.

turbowagon

Thanks a beauty, Ken! Simple, yet elegant. Excellent workmanship! Great job on the finial threads, and the matching shape of either end.

- Joe

Jeff G

That is a beautiful pen for sure! May I ask what the sizes of threads you used on the various parts that needed threading?
Thanks
Jeff G

LeeR

Very classy pen! I've seen the Ebonite blanks online, and they tend to look rather uninteresting, or jsut plain. It is amazing to see how they are transformed into stunning pieces once turned.

I've only turned about 30 or so pens, but look forward to trying my hand at kitless someday.

wizard

Ken, That is an absolutely gorgeous pen in my favorite color of ebonite. I really the profile of the pen and finial/cap grain match is dead on! Thanks for sharing. Doc:)

drgoretex

Thanks so much for the compliments!

That is a beautiful pen for sure! May I ask what the sizes of threads you used on the various parts that needed threading?
Thanks
Jeff G

Certainly. Cap-to-barrel is 1/2 x 28 (I use my triple-start M12 x 0.8 for smaller pens), barrel-to-front section is M10 x 1, and finial is 5/16 x 24.

Ken

Jeff G

Ken
Thanks for the info! Would it be safe to say that any thread say around 24 minimum /per inch would be good to use for pens then? In the proper diameter if course.
Peace
Jeff

Last edited:

drgoretex

Ken
Thanks for the info! Would it be safe to say that any thread say around 24 minimum /per inch would be good to use for pens then? In the proper diameter if course.
Peace
Jeff

Hmmm...not really. In the case of the finial, there is enough wall thickness that it works OK, but you really need to have finer threading for cap to barrel and for barrel to front section (the 1mm thread, or 25.4 tpi, is really on the coarse side), or you cut too deep into your wall thickness and risk breakage.

Ken

Jeff G

Thanks for the reply, This info and the other threads, about well...threads, have been very helpful to me and I am sure others.
Peace
Jeff G

Top Bottom