Classic Cigar with Elk Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jwalt191

jwalt191

I finished this last night, and used my new HF photo tent to take the pics. This is New Mexico Elk Antler, on a gold cigar kit. Comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 100_9329mod.jpg
    100_9329mod.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_9322mod.jpg
    100_9322mod.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 100_9324mod.jpg
    100_9324mod.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 121
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Cuts look dead on, fit looks dead on too. Shape has good flow with no bad curves, I'd say it's pretty much flawless.

The kit, on the otherhand, I'm not feeling. I don't dig antler on a gold kit....

toolcrazy

Very nice. I like the look of an antler cigar. But maybe a chrome kit would be better, I don't know.

Photos are a touch out of focus and the depth of field is off. Also, the background is a bit busy and that is the first thing you see. Sorry

jskeen

Nice job Jim, love the color and texture on that antler. I understand you gotta make the kits you have on hand, but if I'd had a choice, probably would have went with chrome, brushed nickle, black enamel, or black TI, in order of cost.

For the pics, the white balance and lighting are good, I would try to keep the pen parallel to the back of the camera rather than at an angle, to improve depth and focus, and use a flat, more monochrome background. Getting better though, keep working on it.

jwalt191

This was really just for practice. Never been real good with the cigars, and I wanted to try one before I used my Ultra Cigar. I have some Black Chrome Cigars that look great with the snakeskin, but I wasn't real sure on the antler. Every year around Christmas I sell about 30 antler pens, but this guy has never been real happy with anything but the Gold Slimline kits. Mabey i'm in a rut?:confused: Thank you for all the great comments so far, does anyone have suggestions as far as the background goes. Solid colors, white, grey, ?
Thanks everyone.

PaulDoug

Very nice job. I agree with the others on the gold, that antler screems black ti. I like gold or brass when used with a cartridge pen. But,hey colors are all a matter of personal preference. There is no right or wrong.

jskeen

I use a 12x12 piece of granite tile for a background, I think it's called absolute black (even though it really isn't) I like it better than a mirror because it gives some texture and detail, without being overwhelming, it tones down the reflections of the inside of my tent, and because you only get one true reflection of your pen from the very top polished surface, unlike a mirror, where you get multiple reflections because the silver surface is plated onto the back of the glass.

stoneman

Jim,
Nice job on the antler. I also prefer the darker kits with the light material. Black Ti is my favoritie with light antler. Like Paul, I do like the gold (Gold Ti) with brass antler/cartridge pens though. Any like was also said - there is no right or wrong, just different tastes. Well done.

Top Bottom