classic american woes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

emccarthy

The first couple of pens I turned were Classic Americans which I got from Woodcraft. Recently, both my pen and my wifes have had an issue where the lower barrel has separated from the section that screws into the transmission. I wouldn't think this would be an issue, except the transmissions on both have broke in the same way, where it will NOT unscrew...the double twist mechanism works, but doesn't lock, so the pen will continually extend and retract until your fingers get tired of turning. of course, the CB is glued in place so I'm not quite sure what to do with these to salvage them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

I would contact Woodcraft and explain the problem to them. They should give you new kits. To get the pens apart you can try dripping CA solvent onto the area and letting it set for a while. You may have to do this several times, but it should loosen the band and you can disassemble the pens and possibly repair them.

ldb2000

I had nothing but problems with the double twist transmissions so I won't use them any more . Of the first 10 of them I built 7 had to be replaced because of tranny problems . At first I thought that it was just customers over tightening the coupler but then my personal cigar pen started giving me problems similar to what happened to you . It wouldn't lock at the end of travel then just started spinning and I couldn't get it apart . It still retracted and extended the refill but just spun when I tried to unscrew it .

hilltopper46

When this happens, sometimes one can unscrew the top barrel by holding the writing end of the pen firmly against the tabletop while attempting to unscrew it. It depends how tightly the transmission is screwed onto the bottom barrel. You may need to slip the lower barrel back onto the transmission coupler, first.

As an alternative you may be able to cut a short piece of dowel and use it as a spacer up into the transmission to press against.

This can also happen with the Berea pen of the European or Designer style that takes the Parker style refill.

I, personally, have never had it happen on a Cigar, and I've made a lot of cigar pens. I think that transmission is somewhat more robust.

PenMan1

I had nothing but problems with the double twist transmissions so I won't use them any more . Of the first 10 of them I built 7 had to be replaced because of tranny problems . At first I thought that it was just customers over tightening the coupler but then my personal cigar pen started giving me problems similar to what happened to you . It wouldn't lock at the end of travel then just started spinning and I couldn't get it apart . It still retracted and extended the refill but just spun when I tried to unscrew it .

Ditto!

Mark

I've had an issue with the (Hart) Dbl Twist, where the trans seems to bind up. It won't move the cartridge in or out. Take it apart, put it back together and bam, it works. I haven't had one do what was described. But, I believe it....

Never had a failure on a Cigar, but I've only been using them for 8 months.

Top Bottom