Classic Amboyna's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Hi,

I had some fun today at the annual Hamilton Woodshow. I was able to turn a few pens in the Golden Horseshoe Woodturning club booth, meet some old friends and also other penmakers. I wore my IAP turning smock...a few IAP lurkers said hello.:D

These are two Gentlemen’s roller ball pens (Craft Supply) that I turned with amboyna burl (From William Woodwrite) and finished with a CA top coat, to me they are the classic look for amboyna on a very classic pen design.

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

One with a touch of sap wood

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

Comments are always welcomed;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by txbatons

Both pens are great!! Never turned amboyna, but all the pens I've seen with it are nice. Good work on these!

Everyone should turn this particular wood at least once. The pens almost always look fantastic IF you mind your P's and Q's ... this wood will teach you not to sand too hot, drill too hot... all the things that make wood crack after a few days. It smells awesome when turning .. that's a plus ... and when you get hold of an absolutely fantastic amboyna burl you will get a superb looking writing instrument.

[:X] Mrs.

johncrane

Jim! your wood finish is one of the best here,you make wood look like wood and not plastic, most want to or try for the real shining ca glass like finish,which wood is not.Maybe you could shed a little light on your awesome finish.

Originally posted by johncrane

Jim! your wood finish is one of the best here,you make wood look like wood and not plastic, most want to or try for the real shining ca glass like finish,which wood is not.Maybe you could shed a little light on your awesome finish.

Jim, I second John's request. Would you mind sharing your technique? That is a top-notch looking finish on a beautiful piece of wood and I'd appreciate the education as to how you did it.

As always, thanks for sharing.

bitshird

Jim the pens are beautiful, but like several others, I especially like your finish,[^] I have almost learned to make a glass like CA finish, but to me,it detracts from the wood, it almost makes it look plastic (DUH it actually is)[8D] your finish seems to enhance the wood please give us a clue

Originally posted by johncrane

Thanks John,

I appreciate yours and all others kind comments, the wood is wonderful to work with. I seldom turn anthing but stabilized woods, acrylics or celluloid now, but once in awhile I will turn a pure wood blank as I did here.

My finish is that after I finish turning I sand the blank with 320-400, then apply Mylands cellulose sealer with the lathe off, let it set up, then sand again with 400. I sand with the lathe at 500 RPM. Once I have done this first step I then start my CA finish.

I use THIN CA, apllied to a shop towel, with the off I quickly apply a very thin coat of CA and let it set up, I have never tried the BLO method, but this works fine for me.

After it is dry I apply a second thin coat of THIN CA, let it set up, then I wet sand with Micro Mesh, 3600-4000-6000-8000-12,000.

I then apply a third and final quick coat of THIN CA, let it set up, then I use Micro Mesh 8000-12,000, then turn the lathe up and polish at 2600 RPM with Novus 2. That's it.

The look is very glossy actually and pehaps some aspect of my photography made these look less plastic, but they do have a gloss look. With three thin coats though I have not built up a level clear coat. The finish I have here follows the topography of the wood and that may be a function of quickly applied thin coats of THIN CA.

This is what I do, it works for me....a few pen makers watched me apply this method to three of the pens I made yesterday, they all had done CA before with BLO and the lathe on, they all agreed they liked what I did. That is my method, milage may vary for others using this application.:)

jhs494

Awesome job Jim!
Those are two outstanding looking pens.
I can't wait to try some Amboyna.
It sure makes a beautiful pen.

Top Bottom