Cigar 'replica' pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from devowoodworking

Well, I thought I'd give this cigar pen a try after seeing both Martin and Peter's versions...it turned out okay :)
but it only occurred to me after the fact that I should have used all of the ash for the cap instead of having the walnut broken up :rolleyes:

Oh well, I figure better to leave room for improvement! :biggrin:

Woods are 'Turkish Walnut' and 'dyed box elder', all comments appreciated :cool:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    369.5 KB · Views: 427
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    402.6 KB · Views: 357
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I think it looks great myself. I use the black BEB for ash as well. If you want, send me a pm and I will give you my address and if you send me a SASE I will send you some cigar bands to use. Is that a Jr. Gent kit?

Some cigars come with two bands and you can sometimes disguise the joint by putting it between the two bands. With cigar bands that are straight across at the bottom you can put that right at the joint and disguise it as well.

I confess that I am a cigar smoker (that's how I got started making the cigar pens) and it would be hard to get an ash that long on a cigar. If you use an ash on the next one (most of my customers like the ash) 1/4 to 1/2 inch seems to be a good size.

I have never used Turkish walnut, but it looks great and the shape of the pen is very realistic. My first cigar pen looked like crap!

Again, let me know if you want some bands, I have lots.

Thanks for all the comments :wink:

Peter, that's very nice of you to offer up some of your bands...how 'bout I send you some 'turkish walnut' in exchange, I'll shoot you a pm :wink:

After thinking about it some more, you're correct about the ash being a little long so making the entire cap ash probably won't work either...I used a 'Reinhart' kit (it's all I had on hand, and not the best choice:frown:) a Jr. Gent would be a much better candidate for something like this :)

aggromere

I use the old El Grande (got the idea from Halfcalf) and the El Presidente kit for all of my cigar pens. The first several cigar pens I made were with the Jr. Gent, but over time I decided the nib end was just a shade too skinny to work well with such big pens. I think the full size gent would be perfect, but I hate to spend that much money just to throw most of it away. I do occassionally use it though.

Bands will be on the way tomorrow.

jlmort1980

Looks great! I would love to try one of these someday. But I dont think I have the set up right now to do it. What did you use for a finish?

MartinPens

I think you've got an excellent start. I like the ash on that end. I think the ash looks too long if it's on the cap end, personally. Glad to see some other cigar look-alikes on here. Hope to see some other versions from you. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks again for all the compliments :wink:

I thought I'd show this latest version...it's actually a case to hold a baron type pen :cool:

Attachments

• cigarcase.JPG
    cigarcase.JPG
    376.2 KB · Views: 162
Top Bottom