Cigar pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Phillips

This will seem like a silly question probably...

.... but are cigar pens decent kits?... i.e. as compared to slimline?

I have made one cigar pen when I first started.... and have made Perfect Fit and Jr. Gentlemen along with slimlines, so my experience is really limited...

I was thinking about ordering some cigar pens, since they look good on the pics and are half the cost of the Jr. Gent...

So... quality wise and appearance wise, where do the cigar pens "fit in" with the other kits... specifically the ones I have some experience with?

Thanks...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
IMO, cigar pens have a number of things going for them:
1 - They're reasonably priced
2 - They're relatively easy to make
3 - There are a LOT of plating options!
4 - They're fairly large; therefore, they provide a good platform to
exhibit a nice piece of wood, or other blank.
5 - Customers seem to LOVE them -- they tend to sell when everything
else is lukewarm, in my experience.
Hope this helps, Marc.

Firefyter-emt

Yep, I echo the above and oddly I have sold a lot of these to women who like the size (Yea, and they say size doesn't matter!) [}:)] I was told more than once that the weight was not a big deal because they put it in their pocket book. Oh, and it's easy to get a nice profit margin with this kit when placed beside more expensive pek kits as they can hold their own.

mick

Cigars are my biggest seller. Men and women buy them. As stated above they have a wide variety of platings and size wise they show off a lot of wood. As for quality, Of all I've sold(probably well over 100)I've never had one come back. The only issue I know of with Cigars are: 1. Occassional thick plating inside the nibs of the Gold Titanium hardware. 2. The lower barrel is sensitive as far as length is concerned. 3. Accurate squaring of the blanks are a must so the twist mech. will work smoothly. Other than these minor problems Cigars are a great kit. I think you'll like making them!

GaryMGg

Marc,
This is an interesting question because as you know Mikey is running a Bulk Buy that
includes Cigar kits. I bought samples the first time he bought from WPP.
Everything I'm writing here, I've emailed to Mike previously.
Of my two kits, one was mis-packaged and contained two of the same threaded pieces and
no center band. These are black chrome kits, and on both I've noticed the plating is starting to rub through where the nib meets the threaded black washer.
If you buy some, go for the more expensive and higher quality plating.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom