Cigar pen shape

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from emsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsmith

I wanted a larger upper portion on this pen to show off the wonderful wood. So rather than tapering down to the bushing at the clip end, I turned the upper portion as a cylinder and rolled a radius to the bushing. I'm not really sure that I like the shape. It gives the illusion, not shared by the attached photo, that the pen is cone shaped. Also, I think the oversize rounded end is out of place. On the other hand the family likes it and it seems to be well balanced.

I'm still working on shapes/proportions so comments are greatly appreciated.

200522053510_Cocobola%20Cigar.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodChucker

I think it looks good and you didn't go crazy with it. The Cigar pen is big enough, I think you did a fine job.

woodscavenger

I have done several similar shapes and even though they look huge, the nursed around here have really liked them. I do have a problem with them though because I can't find a good cheap display box for them. That shape won't fit in most boxes.

Gary

It's a beautiful piece of wood and nicely turned. I like the radius on the ends of the upper barrel. But the bottom barrel doesn't do it for me. It appears a bit too big at the centerband, and I think that's what gives it a "cone" look. That cone seems to clash with the nice curves of the upper barrel. There's nothing wrong with experimenting. That's how you will find the shapes you like.

Tom McMillan

I really like how the larger barrels show off the wood. The top part of the lower barrel seems to throw it a little out of proportion though. Really beautiful grain!!!

dougle40

Well done ! I like the design mainly because you've left the tip end as it's intended size and increased the upper portion .
Had it been me , I would have mimicked the top shape to the bottom's ,giving it a more symmetrical look .

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Knowing the size of a cigar pen I can only imagine how big that sucker really is.
It would be interesting to see it posted next to another pen for size comparison.
I have modified the shape of cigar pens, they are an inexpensive parker type to experiment with.The top section is forgiving much like a slim line.
You did an interesting job on a great piece of wood.
I'm not saying I don't like it.
It seems at some point you saw the grain on the lower portion and wanted to "show it off" I do that, high light one aspect of a pen be it color, grain whatever.
I don't care for "corset pens" where the design says
"Shoot! I got to get back to the center bushing and then start again."
In the case of this pen I love the grain and the way it matched.
You did say comments so I will add another.
I detect radial rings consistent with marks left by not sanding cross wise or possibly in the finish itself.
I know its hard to determine that from a picture,are they visible under the light?

Fleabit

Beautiful piece of wood. I like the pen overall. A lot of my sales are that style (hourglass, corset shape). The only thing I would have done was to make the lower section where it meets the center band a little less. Overall, I think the pen came out great and you did an excellent job matching the grain and showing it off!

Randy_

I like it-the shape......a lot!!! But I also agree with where Fleabit was going. To me, the proportions are off a hair. Not only would I like to see the lower barrel a little smaller at the centerband....not much, just a tad. I would also like to see the upper barrel that same "tad" smaller. Slim-waisted pens at the centerband look just fine to my eye as long it is not too extreme. We need to let out the belt by one notch on this one and I think you would have a real winner!!!

emsmith

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Knowing the size of a cigar pen I can only imagine how big that sucker really is.
It would be interesting to see it posted next to another pen for size comparison.
I have modified the shape of cigar pens, they are an inexpensive parker type to experiment with.The top section is forgiving much like a slim line.
You did an interesting job on a great piece of wood.
I'm not saying I don't like it.
It seems at some point you saw the grain on the lower portion and wanted to "show it off" I do that, high light one aspect of a pen be it color, grain whatever.
I don't care for "corset pens" where the design says
"Shoot! I got to get back to the center bushing and then start again."
In the case of this pen I love the grain and the way it matched.
You did say comments so I will add another.
I detect radial rings consistent with marks left by not sanding cross wise or possibly in the finish itself.
I know its hard to determine that from a picture,are they visible under the light?

Thank you for the comments.

The marks didn't show up until after I applied the finish. I've tried to be very careful about sanding along the length of the pen with the lathe off to remove all the scratches, and then wipe off the dust but it seems to be a recurring problem for me that I'm missing sanding marks until the finish is applied. The finish is just multiple coats ofcrystal coat applied using denim so I don't think the radial rings are in the finish. But I'm new at this so, it could any advice is welcome.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
If y9ou are using denim and "friction finish"
The heat build up might be imparting a pattern on finish not the wood.
Try something softer.

emsmith

Originally posted by Randy.
<br />I like it-the shape......a lot!!! But I also agree with where Fleabit was going. To me, the proportions are off a hair. Not only would I like to see the lower barrel a little smaller at the centerband....not much, just a tad. I would also like to see the upper barrel that same "tad" smaller. Slim-waisted pens at the centerband look just fine to my eye as long it is not too extreme. We need to let out the belt by one notch on this one and I think you would have a real winner!!!

Thank you for your kind words and suggestions.

The proportions seemed off to me as well. I think the next shape that I try like this I will use more of a taper on the upper barrel, unfortunately I'm having a little trouble doing elliptical tapers, so more practice blanks are in order. [:)] And I'll slim down the lower barrel around the center band.

pmichris

I like the shape of it. It really displays the grain well. I too use the radius on the upper portion of the cigar pens, but I keep the shape smaller on the lower end it seems to balance it better. I have had many people comment on how they like the way the shape shows off the wood. Keep up the food work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom