Cigar Pen Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RickLong

I make a lot of cigar pens and every once an a while after placing the top section on top of the transmission the pen will not come out easily. Definitly not easy enough to sell the pen.

Before placing the "cap" above the transmission the pen works fine. Once the cap is pushed on, the pen will not open or is just to hard to turn to sell.

I know there is no glue or anything from me still in the upper tube. I am very careful to make sure this is not causing the issue. I used a blank from PSI the other day, pink leather, that has the tube aready in the blank so no glue was needed. Only had to saw my blank to size using my bandsaw and I had this problem occur after turning it.

I tried using a tube reamer and this does not fix the problem.

Anyone else have this problem with cigar pens? This does not happen often but it happens enough that it is becoming an issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
It has happened a few times with me as well. I tried new transmissions but nothing seemed to help. I assumed that the cap on my pens was a bit misaligned while turning so it put stress on the transmission when put together since when I tried a cap from a different pen, the transmission worked fine.

Not a solution I'm afraid but only a comment and possible cause.

Matt Cotton

I've had a couple that when i pressed the clip bushing in the cap it got a little out of line and didn't line up with the center band very well and caused some excessive drag. I disassembled the cap and was able to put it back together and it worked good.

Phunky_2003

I had this happen on one cigar kit a few months ago. I dont really know the issue but it wasnt in cap end. It was in the lower barrel. After disassembling top several times and inspecting nothing seemed to fix it. I laid it to the side til next day. Then thought maybe something stuck in nib end or maybe lower piece not pressed properly together, so disassembled bottom section..... couldnt find anything wrong..... however when reassebled it worked great.

I just considered it the gremlins in my shop....

RickLong

Thanks guys... I will disassemble the bottom and put it back together.. Of course, I did not try this... Must have disassembled the top 5X... LOL

I too blamed it on the gremlins... LOL I like that Phunky! LOL

Thanks and Happy New Years!

Rick

Top Bottom