Cigar Pen Kits by Another Name

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Partyof5

I was just curious as to what you all thought about Cigar pen kits. I know a PSI kit is a PSI kit from wherever you purchase it from, but I notice when it comes to cigar pen kits, they come under different numbers and pricing that really is all over the place.

Have you noticed a quality difference depending on where you get the kit from?

I originally got mine from Woodcraft, but recently changed due to price. Does the old adage "you get what you pay for" apply here?

I have had a few minor problems with the lower price kits I bought, and probably could have happened with any kit. They are still good sellers for me, and I don't want that to change over a quality issue.

Thanks,
Jay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

If you like the woodcfraft cigar pens they can be purchased from other vendors. Woodcraft sells Berea kits and so do other vendors...and cheaper. Woodcraft just slaps their label over the Berea label.

Here are the three vendors I use for cigar pens:
Pen Making Kits | Pen Turning Supplies | Wooden Pen Blanks

Bear Tooth Woods

exoticblanks.com

I only use Berea cigar kits so I can't comment on other's cigar kits.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I was just curious as to what you all thought about Cigar pen kits.

I originally got mine from Woodcraft, but recently changed due to price. Does the old adage "you get what you pay for" apply here.

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited:

walshjp17

I second Don's Berea choice. It is a quality kit. I now avoid Rockler's version as I have not had a lot of luck with it. Stick with Berea kits.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There is a quality difference from one manufacturer to the next.

I used only Berea and CSUSA when I was doing shows (both numbers started with WCO145). Then one year I bought some from another source. That was the first time I ever had nib parts bend and transmissions that did not work.

I went back to WCO parts the next year.

76winger

I've only made the PSI and Woodturninz kits and noticed the PSI kits had better quality in both thickness of material in the nib section and smoothness of finish on the clips. Woodturninz clips were thicker, but the edges were rough compared to PSI.

Top Bottom