Cigar pen HELP PLEASE!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I just finished a Cigar pen using one of my homebrew trade blanks. The pen came out beautiful, BUT the mechanism doesn't want to work right.

If i seperate the two halves of the pen, the mechanism works fine. If i slide the two halves together up to the point where the mechanism connects, it does fine. But as soon as i push it the rest of the way together (about another 1/8") it quits working and gets REALLY stiff when it does operate.

Any thoughts?

OR better yet, any thoughts on how to fix it? I really like this pen and don't want to lose it to the Rhizeng demon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jedgerton

I think I know what's happening. On the transmission, near the threaded part that connects it to the lower pen half, there is a step in the brass where it gets a little larger. The tube that it slides into is usually flared out slightly to allow the larger diameter to insert into the upper tube (not the tube onto which the turned material is attached but the tube that the finial screws onto). Flaring that tube a little more will usually resolve this problem.

That's what I've found with respect to this problem.

John

Russianwolf

if it gets tight when the centerband contacts the transmission coupler, then you may have a bit too much plating on the inside of the centerband (known issue with the Cigars from Woodpenpro).

RAdams

Banned
That is why this forum ROCKS!!!!!!!!

You guys are absolutely correct! I believe that is the problem!

I am unfamiliar with woodpenpro, but that seems to be the problem just the same. How is the best way to flare that brass tube? Can it be shortened without messing up the pen? If i am not mistaken, that tube is what works the transmission correct? I will definately do some looking at that tube now!

Sylvanite

How is the best way to flare that brass tube? Can it be shortened without messing up the pen?
Yes, it can be shortened without messing up the pen. I've had the same problem with the same two causes:
1: Inside diameter of the centerband/coupler is too small. Solution: ream it out with an appropriate size drill bit or a dremel tool (with a very light touch).
2: Finial tube (that drives the transmission) is too long, or insufficiently flared. Solution: shorten the tube. The tube doesn't have to go all the way down the transmission. It just needs to contact enough of it to grip when you twist. If you grind it back such that it no longer contacts the step in the transmission, you'll cure the problem without harming the pen.

WoodPenPro sold a lot of "factory second" cigar pen kits with these problems. Once reamed and trimmed, they work great.

I hope that helps,
Eric

RAdams

Banned
You can safely cut about a 1/4" off the end of the tube that engages the transmission .

I like this option the best. Allthough, i might just try to flare it a bit after i remove it.

John, How do you flare the tube with a tap and live center? I have those tools in my shop but i don't know how to use them in such a fashion. Thanks for the help!!

ldb2000

Flaring will only help if part of the brass body of the transmission has been turned down (about 1/4" long) for the tube to slip over . If the brass body of the transmission don't have this turned down step you will have to cut the tube .

RAdams

Banned
coolness! I will post a picture of the pen after i remove the finial and fix it!

Top Bottom