Cigar Parts Thread size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fordwakeman

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the tread size of a cigar transmission. the inside threads of the part on the left in the picture. Also looking for the threads of the cap part on the right. Thanks

Attachments

• 20170410_115733.jpg
    20170410_115733.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 126
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Not wanting to contradict Ken, but tonight's measurement for the cigar tranny on the left gives m7.5 x 0.5 .... I actually just measured the part that it mates with (could be m7.4)

For the part on the right, I measure it as m8 x 0.75
(assuming it is the part that fits in the "cap" of the same cigar and, together with the finial, holds the clip on)

I measured a Berea cigar kit.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Not wanting to contradict Ken, but tonight's measurement for the cigar tranny on the left gives m7.5 x 0.5 .... I actually just measured the part that it mates with (could be m7.4)

(assuming it is the part that fits in the "cap" of the same cigar and, together with the finial, holds the clip on)

This is the key to your question!! WHOSE cigar kit--they do differ!!

Fordwakeman

Showing my ignorance, but how are you measuring it?

magpens

I use a standard thread gauge to measure the pitch of 0.5 mm between threads (or 0.75 mm, as the case may be). . These thread gauges are available at any decent tool store. . I have confidence that the pitch value is correct.

The other measurement of the external thread diameter I did with a digital caliper. . Now, admittedly, that measurement may not be exactly what the specs for the die state. . The die might be spec'd at m7.5 but after the threads are cut the caliper might read m7.4 or m7.3 (or even m7.6) depending on how the die was adjusted (some have an adjusting screw) and might also depend on the physical properties of the material being threaded (the tips of the thread might break off during the stress of the threading process, or they might be "extruded" to a size slightly larger than spec'd by the die).

Showing my ignorance, but how are you measuring it?

Top Bottom