cigar end sticking out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Petricore

I just assembled my first cigar pen, and when the transmission is screwed in, the tip of the pen sticks out too far, I can back out the transmission and put a washer in there, but it seems like there should be some better way to have it stay in ...
any ideas ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Yep, common issue! You either swapped the blanks prior to turning or over milled the blank. Now the fix is easy, But will cause issues when a refill is put in so I suggest you keep it for your self. You can pull the black plastic end from the refill and remove some metal off the refill (a disk sander is perfect) Mark the refill with a sharpie so you can tell how much you remove and go slow and test fit it. When you get done sanding a bit down, put the plastic back in the end and put it togather and keep going slowly and it will be fixed. Like I said, any new refill will need this same thing, but you can easily go off the old one to fit.

Not that I have ever done this.... [;)]

its_virgil

The black plastic end does not need to be removed. Just reduce the length of the black plastic end. The transmission just pushes against the black plastic end and it serves no other purpose in the kits we make. The ballpoints made by Parker use the black plastic end and its special shape to rotate the refill 1/4 turn each time it is propelled out for writing but not for our kits. Just sand off some of the black plastic end and it will work fine. As mentioned, do not take off too much or the writing tip will not propel out far enough. Any subsequent refill will need to be shortened also. Or, you could dissassemble the pen and swap the barrels.

If you trimmed too much off the lower barrel, the pen can be dissassembled and an oops band added to lengthen the lower barrel back to its correct length.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br /> You can pull the black plastic end from the refill and remove some metal off the refill (a disk sander is perfect) Mark the refill with a sharpie so you can tell how much you remove and go slow and test fit it. When you get done sanding a bit down, put the plastic back in the end and put it togather and keep going slowly and it will be fixed. Like I said, any new refill will need this same thing, but you can easily go off the old one to fit.

Firefyter-emt

Don, it's a bit too late to swap the barrels... The bushing diameter is so diffrent on the cigar it has to go togather exactly as it was made to.

Good point on the special shape not being needed, but the metal removal will still look neater. [:D]

its_virgil

You are correct. I just returned home from vacation and spent 30 straight hours flying and chasing airplanes. Thanks for catching my mistake. It is indeed too late to swap the barrels.[:eek:)] Maybe my brain will arrive when my baggage does on Tuesday...or so I was promised.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />Don, it's a bit too late to swap the barrels... The bushing diameter is so diffrent on the cigar it has to go togather exactly as it was made to.

Good point on the special shape not being needed, but the metal removal will still look neater. [:D]

cdcarter

Yeah, of course my experience on that is strictly hearsay as well, because I've never done anything dumb like that. [:D]

Originally posted by johnnycnc
<br />Maybe trimmed the lower blank too much,
it doesnt take much to cause that problem.
(so i hear from a friend)[;)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One other possibility:
Is the trim ring on the nib in place? Someone I know left it out of a kit and swore loudly because the kit didn't work right. The dummy was very quiet when he realized there was an "extra" black ring in the bag.

If that's not the problem, then an "oops" ring can be added on the lower barrel. Of course, you DO stock a complete selection of 1/8" wide pieces of wood and acrylic colors for this purpose, don't you??? IDo. (FOR THAT FRIEND!!!!!)[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Petricore

Here is my fixed pen. I disassembled the lower tube with allen wrenches (dont have a punch set) and returned the bottom. Luckily it was burl so its not super noticable.
rmellee_cigar.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom