Cigar and a slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jsolie

jsolie

I turned two pens this weekend. I'd never made a cigar pen, so I wasn't sure how it would turn out. It's made using a CS kit and a piece of bocote. It's finished with about 5 coats of Mylands friction polish, even though bocote doesn't really need it. I just wanted something to keep the oils off my hand. I had an interesting reaction to bocote when I turned a bowl a month or so ago.

i-VLT7DPr-M.jpg

My second pen is a slimline made from a piece of lace sheoak. This wood is finished with General Finish's Woodturners finish. I was hoping or a bit more depth, as this wood has an excellent figure. I hadn't turned this wood before, and there are two very small chunks missing from the wood--probably from me being a bit zealous with the skew. At least it'll make a nice pen to keep at my desk at work.

i-4m9gsVF-M.jpg

Sorry for the lousy cell phone shots. I don't have my other camera set up to photograph these properly.

SDB777

Some fancy timbers here!

The cigar is really the show stealing pen here(maybe cause I have a soft spot for this timber~the wife just thinks I have a soft spot), and the use of friction polish is well justified!

The Slim, well what can you say....the timber is spot on with the hardware!!

Scott (keep them coming) B

BeSquare

They both look great particularly the cigar. As for the depth on the other, a trick I was taught put a few drops of walnut oil on a folded paper towel and buff it into the wood at high speed on the lathe before your finish. It really makes the grain pop.

Top Bottom