Churchill Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I just got an email from a customer who purchased a Churchill fountain pen from me a few weeks ago. The black plastic nib holder has broken. At the same show where I sold that one, someone who had purchased a Churchill from me a year ago brought his around with a cracked nib holder. I didn't have any CA with me, but told him how to repair it and he seemed fine with that. I have also heard from another customer, this one local, who bought a Churchill from me in June who says he can't screw the cap onto the body anymore. I haven't seen his pen yet, but will this weekend, and I suspect the same problem. I've sold quite a few Churchills this year and hate to think of the prospect of them all coming back with broken nib holders.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

I have not encountered that problem. I bet if it were a CSU product, you could return it and expect a new one. I would be curious to see if Berea would offer the same exchange?

gerryr

I'm going to wait until I see the other Churchill this weekend before I do anything about contacting Berea. I hope I can just get some new couplers, if I can't fix them.

Draken

Yep, over tightening the cap will do it. I've had an El Grande come back due to this. Did get a replacement from BH, but they did warn it was thin delrin and could crack if mishandled during assembly or use. My guess is the same warning would also apply to the Ligero from CSUSA.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Gerry,

Do you use a press block when you press the nib holder to place? I use a piece of an El Grande that I did not finish as a press block so that there is no pressure on the nib holder during assembly. This has solved the breakage problem for me.

Firefyter-emt

Guys, I have to admitt, as much as I love the Churchil / El-Grande kit, the coupler does have issues. What happens is either from a "bend" a drop or over tighten the thread coupler insert can break. It seems to break about 3mm inside the coupler which is good because I have been able to glue two kits now and the repair works perfect. (Just let it dry before you put the cap on and use the CA sparingly!!)

These have broken even with a press block in use, it's just a week link on a good pen design.

I have now started to "pre-glue" this part in hopes of keeping it from breaking in the first place. I took a block of wood that is at least as thick as the coupler and drilled a 12mm hole right thru it. This can be used as your press block if you like because the coupler is pressed in with the metal lip and not the thread. I now use my 13/32" transfer punch to gently press the thread out of the housing. This comes out rather easy. Now just add some med CA inside the coupler and press the thread back in. I have to do this right on the threads but I have not had any problem because it's not a very tight fit and the CA seems to "lube" the coupler.

My hopes is that this will bond the coupler and keep it from breaking in the first place. So far my repaired pens (I have 2 two now) have held up longer than they did before they broke.

Here are some "photo aides" [:D]

831071.jpg

831072.jpg

831073.jpg

pmpartain

I made up an order of about 35 of the Churchills. I had at least 6 or 7 break. At least 3 were dropped, one was broekn in a pocket, and I'm not sure on the others. As luck would have it, I ruined a good number of those by using CA on the coupler in the cap. I ordered a bunch of FP nibs, and plan to make a bunch of desk pens similar to YOYOSPIN's blast off pen. Hopefully, as a desk pen, they won't see as much rough handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom