Chuck suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwisher

Ok so I'd really like to take advantage of the deal that CSUSA is having and I was wondering if this chuck be a good one to start with?
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...a_g3_jaws?Args=

I want to get into bowls and small vases. I just don't know anything about Chucks and this seems like an easy and affordable way to get into that aspect of turning... Let me know your thoughts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimMc7

I use a Oneway Talon on a Jet 1220 and very happy with it. I use the #1 spigot jaws for pen turning tasks. Sorry, never done any bowls so I can't comment on that aspect.

bitshird

I have a Super Nova 2 and it is a great chuck, the G3 is a good chuck as well, the only problem I've had was getting it jammed on the spindle, also watch out for the spindle adapter set screw, it can loosen up, I will say that it holds very well, and all I have are the 2 inch jaws. It's not the chuck that the Oneway is, but it's no where near the price either, If money were no object, I think I would have an Axminster chuck, but money is an object so I got the SN2 I using the jaws and turning 10 and 11 inch bowls with a Shop Fox 16x42,and still use it for turning tool handles out of 1-5/8 square Ash. we are getting a G3 for our smaller lathes.

JimB

The only down side I see is you will probably want additional jaws so that will be an added expense. I have the Barracuda II from PSI and have used all 4 sets of jaws it came with.

KenV

Nova is a bit better built (tighter tolerances) than the PSI - I have both. That is a good chuck - you will want pin jaws for it to use with pen blanks.

The advantage is that the inserts will change easily as you change lathes. PSI Barracuda wants to be a 1 by 8 only.

PenMan1

I really like the Nova Midi that CUSA sells for $75. No threaded adapters to spin loose (it is 1"x8). And if you have a Jet lathe, you don't have to worry about losing keys (or having the key hole at the top of the lathe). You simply push in the spindle lock and use the Jet knock out tool in the rear hole for one handed operation.

Additionally, if you buy a bigger lathe and need a bigger chuck, all Nova accessories fit all Nova chucks. So..... You only have to buy jaws once. This is NOT the case with some other brands.

The G3 is a good chuck. I just hate keyed chucks because the ones I have owned never fit the "keyhole" exactly right, making tightening a 3 handed operation.

Last edited:

robutacion

Ok so I'd really like to take advantage of the deal that CSUSA is having and I was wondering if this chuck be a good one to start with?
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...a_g3_jaws?Args=

I want to get into bowls and small vases. I just don't know anything about Chucks and this seems like an easy and affordable way to get into that aspect of turning... Let me know your thoughts

Hi gwisher,

I was actually going to post my reply yesterday but when I clicked on your link and I say those nylon bushes I got side tracked as I've been looking for some of those for some time and I endup forgetting all about your thread (questions) sorry...!

What I was going to say was that, the Nova G3 was the best think I could bought for my Nova 1624-44. If one considers to match the machine size and power with the accessories one can use I believe the G3 is perfect for these type lathes. I hasn't been anything I couldn't turn because not having enough chuck, I only bough the 25mm jaws as the chuck comes with the 50mm ones. Sure, you can by more jaws and they will all be handy to have but again 98% of all I turn is done with the G3 and its 50mm jaws so, is easy to conclude that I'm perfectly satisfied with it and I turn quite a lot, right to the 16" diameters...!

There are certainly more robust and heavy duty chucks & jaws, those I would prefer to see in a lathe with a lot more weight, power and capacity than those in the range of mine, however if money is no problem, there are some highly precise and well manufactured chucks and the world would be your limit here so, take your pick, I'm happy with mine...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom