Chrome Wine Bottle Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlh

I have been turning wine bottle stoppers using the chrome bottle stopper kits that taper to a point. As I am not a wine drinker myself I had never used one. I gave one to my son and was informed that it does not fit tight in wine bottles. As I have sold a number of these stoppers at craft shows this worried me. Using an empty wine bottle I tried a stopper and noticed that while it fit tightly when first inserted in the neck it was seen to rise out of the bottle until it was no longer tight. Has anyone else had this experience? [:0]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPauli

I have not noticed that with mine, but I make sure the inside of the bottle neck is dry. By just inserting the stopper in the bottle, taking it out and drying the stopper. I think that is problably why yours is comming out. Now my problem is with the chrome, if you leave it in the bottle too long or even after some time it seems to pit. Even the chrome on the cork stoppers does not seem to stand up very long. I guess it is worth buying the titanium stoppers.

There is a lady that is having 316 Stainless Steel stoppers made because of this very problem. (The deterioration of the chrome plating)

She sells them, I have bought 3, made one into a stopper and so far, no problems.

woodbutcher

I made a nice stopper for my wife (chrome) and it rusted too. Now what? I have 4 more that look great as long as no one is simple enough to use them for wine stoppers. These are not cheap kits. Good chrome is not supposed to rust. Probably made from old Yugo parts.

Jim

Fangar

Originally posted by rlh
<br />I have been turning wine bottle stoppers using the chrome bottle stopper kits that taper to a point. As I am not a wine drinker myself I had never used one. I gave one to my son and was informed that it does not fit tight in wine bottles. As I have sold a number of these stoppers at craft shows this worried me. Using an empty wine bottle I tried a stopper and noticed that while it fit tightly when first inserted in the neck it was seen to rise out of the bottle until it was no longer tight. Has anyone else had this experience? [:0]
Richard,

They do not fit snug inthe bottles. It seems to be more of a weight thing where the stopper fits inside of the bottle and its weight is what is supposed to fit the bottle. I would not recommend storing wine with the stoppers. Unfortunately, they seem to work more as a temporary cork while serving, etc.

The ones made of stainless are much better as far as fit. They actually seem to "Click" into the bottle neck. Unfortunately to my eye the look very small. I have 5 of them that I have yet to use.

One thing is for sure, the cork ones with plug to bottle, and won't rust.

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom