Christmas Ring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fibonacci

Fibonacci

My sister called in a panic today because the one thing my niece wants for Christmas is a nice ring. Unfortunately, they live in nowhere Alaska and she is 5. They managed to get her sized, but could not find a ring in her size that was not cheap plastic.

She knows that I am always making things and wondered if I had any ideas. After a bit of pondering, I came up with this.

It is a leftover piece of copper madreperlado from Exotics. A size 3 ring is properly 0.55", but after it was polished, it ended up being 0.568. For a small girl, I figure it will work and I thought it was a good proof of concept.

Now I just need to figure out how to convince myself I need a metal lathe to make fancier ones.

Attachments

• IMG_9208.jpg
    IMG_9208.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 314
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bensoelberg

Nice! I'm headed your way tomorrow to tour the base with my sister and her family, then my parents are coming into town for dinner, then we're heading out to Utah Saturday morning. If I had a little more time, I'd try for a visit. Maybe if you PM me your number I'll give you a call if I have some down time in the afternoon.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Wow.. thats pretty.... And the .018" won't be a big deal - I'm betting she is going to be very sad when she outgrows it and will want more! Better start making a size 4, 5, 6....etc now :)

Fibonacci

I was tired last night and couldn't read my calipers right...

It is actually 0.558. That will certainly work.

I sent the picture to my sister and she is thrilled, so hopefully everyone will like it.

PaulDoug

That is a real nice ring. I bet she cherishes it the rest of her life. Nice work.

Your avatar drives me crazy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom