Christmas "Pen-dant"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Russknan

Russknan

Just thought I'd take a moment to share some pics of a recent fun project.

A few words of background: When I was born (oldest of 4), my parents started a Christmas tradition. Each year, we would receive from my parents a Christmas ornament. When we were old enough, we could pick out our own. Our name or initials would be written on the ornament, along with the date. It was fun to see the progression from larger, relatively unbreakable ornaments to smaller, more delicate ones, as we got older. Then, when we married and had our own homes, the ornaments would go with us, sometimes with an ornament or two from our parents' tree.

My wife, Peri, and I have chosen to continue that tradition with our children - with the addition that we always get an ornament or two for ourselves. Those ornaments, for the last however many years, have been selected to symbolize something important that happened during that year. So, some years, the ornament would come from a place where we had traveled, where our kids went to college, etc. In this way, the Christmas tree each year displays a history of our family.

So, this year, in addition to ornaments from Germany and the Czech Republic, I was thinking about how I began turning pens in March, and became obsessed right after. So I got a couple of ornament kits and was preparing to turn a Christmas tree or something when my wife had a better idea. She said, "You've been spending all this time making pens, so the ornament should be a pen. I started thinking about that, and decided that I didn't just want to stick a pen on an ornament hook, but rather construct a simplified REPRESENTATION of a pen, made almost entirely of wood. Although I could have drawn out a clip outline and tried to cut it, I don't have a scroll saw but DO have a desire to keep my fingers. So I chose to use a clip from a pen that I dismantled for rehabilitation, and kept the rest of it all wood.

The body was made of holly (seemed appropriate for Christmas), and the cap, center band, and finial were made of some gunstock walnut a friend gave me. If I had it to do over again, I would use something more delicate for the loop for the ornament hook than the 14 gauge electrical wire on this one.

Pictures are quick-and-dirty on an old scrap v-block for convenience.

Comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Happy New Year!

Russ

Attachments

• IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2410.jpg
    IMG_2410.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 192
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

That is an interesting idea. You can also buy just clips from several vendors here in IAP. Classic Nib & Indy-Pen-Dance are just a few.

robutacion

Well, the sentiment and story behind it, are just extraordinary, something that I really never heard of before but, I can see how it would develop through the generations so, make sure the tradition never dies...!

I really like the way you put it together, and yes the "loop" gives it way but, the thing that I first spotted as a "fake" pen, was something else that really popped up quite clearly, to me anyway.

It would be very incorrect and totally unintentional if you see my comment as a negative critique, my opinion is merely of constructive nature, as I can see that the idea is well liked by many others here and my "observation" to a particular detail (that can be easily modified, improved), is only to help to created a more realistic example of a working pen/writing instrument.

See if you or anyone can spot what I'm talking about...?? remember, this is my "take" on a suggestion for "improvement" nothing more...!

PS: You asked for opinions/suggestions...!:wink::biggrin:

Have fun...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Great design concept and execution. I might make one for Christmas this year.

Russknan

Thanks for the kind comments. Feel free to "steal" away, including the tradition. It starts to become quite meaningful after a number of years, so that putting ornaments on the tree each year involves a "walk down memory lane." A couple of comments about construction. The holly turned out to be a really good choice, not just because of the association to Christmas. It is light so that, although the "pen" is solid wood, it won't weigh down the tree branch. The hardest part was inserting the cut-down piece of the clip into the wood without having a jagged hole. I know that a lot of people on IAP make truly beautiful pens with recessed clips. I don't know how to do that, so I used a mat knife and a magnifying lamp to cut a tiny slot into the wood, put in some thick CA, roughed the bottom of the end of the clip, and put a drop of CA on that, and assembled. Worked. Perhaps there is a better way to do that . . .

Special thanks to George (Robutacion) for his keen eye and constructive criticism (in a private email). I've learned so much from him by reading his posts on IAP, and privately. He noticed that there is a little white line of "CA debris" around the center band. Actually, I noticed that, too, after I had inserted the clip. It was too late to put it back on the lathe, so I tried to scrape some of it away with a toothpick. Didn't get it all. If you look VERY closely, you will also see some white dots in the cap. They weren't there when I had concluded putting finish on the "pen" on the lathe, but seemed to appear after I had wrapped the piece in a paper towel while working on the clip. I managed to wipe most of it out with DNA and blew it off with compressed air, but didn't get it all. I've had this sort of thing happen with this highly figured walnut in the past, and don't yet know how to solve it. Perhaps someone here will have a good idea. Anyway, thanks again for looking, and for commenting. Russ

robutacion

Thank Russ, for being a "sport" and accepting my critique..!

In fact, the white line was the give away BUT, the reason the white line is there, is what I was focusing on, when I said that, it spoiled a bit the appearance of a "real" pen.

The "round-ish" edge between the cap and the body pen, cause the CA to accumulate making it difficult to polish off, while if a small groove was made at that joint, using probably a partition cutter made out of a used hacksaw blade, ran parallel to the pen body, cutting a couple of mm in...!

Now, why am I saying this...???

First because I know Russ as the correct understanding of my intentions, secondly, I mention that I spotted a detail that could be easily improved and thirdly, Russ's explanation did not mention the main point I was trying to make for the "correction".

Why do I thing is important to say this...???

Firstly because, there is a simple fact of human behavior to void pointing out problems, imperfections/flaws and true opinion of others work, in fear of hurting/offending/upsetting the other party, and been seen as a "pain" and a total "a$$#O!!&", right...???

Sure, sometimes saying nothing, says a lot however, not in cases such as these where, we all started somewhere and got our quickest lessons out of mistakes that weren't unnoticed or revealed when it had mattered.

Well, it all boils down to personal choices and willingness to help others getting better on what they do, no one ever know it all, and there isn't a single day in our life's that, we don't learn something new...!

One of the reasons why I'm using Russ's ornamental pen to discuss the suggest improvement(s) is that, I reckon this "false" pens idea would be a phenomenal idea to use as display samples, particularly on the new style pens most pen-turners seem to be "embarking" on and that is the kitless style pens, why...???

What would be the difference in between Russ's pen and the real thing, if the pen is capped on...??? Absolutely nothing so, what you be the cost of making samples of what you can do and have then also on display so that customers could see/touch/smell them and make his/hers selection/order based on the sample, everything outside would be the same (or at least very identical), only the internal parts would differ, which could have also a display selection of options that can go with it...!

I like this idea a lot, I may even used it to make up a 2 wood combination pen blanks packs and made the "false" pens as the respective samples, even though, the variety of the 2 wood positions and cuts combinations would be immense and of personal choice still, a false pen as a sample does appeal to me, considerably.

As you see, the possibilities are endless for a very simple idea...!

What you're reckon...???

Cheers
George

Top Bottom