Christmas First

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from seht

Status
Not open for further replies.

seht

I asked for some Baron kits for Christmas and I got them YAY! I had never put one together before.

Here are a few pics
I have never use Koa before, I think I like it.
BaronKoa1.jpg

BaronKoa2.jpg

and one in Ironwood
BaronIronwood1.jpg

BaronIronwood2.jpg

Comments and suggestions appreciated

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seht

I think most of that on the barrel is CA. I still can't make it look like I want. I always end up with run over onto the bushings, and then end up having to seperate the bushings from the pen. Then I end up with what looks like unfinished ends of the pen. I have tried cleaning it up after, but end up taking off finish on the barrel as well as the end.

I'd just give up on the CA thing and go with friction polish again, but I want the finish to last a while.

Thanks for the suggestions.

woodmarc

Great looking pens. I also really like the Koa. Almost looks 3D.

In my limited experience with the CA finish, I also have "glued" the blanks to the bushings. By carefully seperating them using a box knife, and then sanding the end of the blanks on 320 grit, I get the ends back to square with out a lot of fuss. (lay some 320 on a flat surface and sand the ends until you start to see brass.)
Usually works form me.

Again, nice work.

GaryMGg

I like these.

Originally posted by seht
<br />...I always end up with run over onto the bushings, and then end up having to seperate the bushings from the pen. Then I end up with what looks like unfinished ends of the pen....
I'd just give up on the CA thing and go with friction polish again, but I want the finish to last a while.

Try Carnuba wax on the bushing before the CA finish.
I keep the mandrel and bushings waxed.
Also check that the applicator hole on your CA isn't too big.

Gary

BigRob777

These all sound like good suggestions. Lou taught me to sand the ends. Sometimes, I run my pen mill very lightly on the end, then sort of twist it on 400, or 600 grit paper. I'm still perfecting my technique, but you have to be careful not to cut too deeply or agressively with the mill. You may get chunks taken out. Not that that's ever happened to me...[}:)]
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom